StromTrooper banner

Engine Swap

992 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  cbrxxcess
Can anyone tell me if a 2004-2009 DL1000 engine would work in a 2003 model?
Are the frames and engine mounting lugs the same? I imagine the ECM is different. If anyone has experience with such a swap I would appreciate a response or call me at 731-499-4986. THANKS!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Can anyone tell me if a 2004-2009 DL1000 engine would work in a 2003 model?
Are the frames and engine mounting lugs the same? I imagine the ECM is different. If anyone has experience with such a swap I would appreciate a response or call me at 731-499-4986. THANKS!
I'm pretty certain that the 2004 engine changes were the last to be made. Everything should bolt up just fine.

2003 (K3) Added fork pre-load adjusters. Alternator output increased to 400 watts. New Clutch Slave cylinder dust cover, later production models.

2004 (K4) Redesigned instrument cluster. Upgrade 16-bit to 32-bit ECU, some sensors changed. New turn signals, 20 watt without reflector compared with earlier 10 watt. Belly pan redesigned. Stronger hand guards attached to end of handlebar. New adjustable windscreen design. Left handlebar switch incorporates flash-to-pass & emergency blinkers (EU models already had this). Stronger handlebars. Revised Mirrors for less mirror breakage.

Source: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suzuki-DL1000-V-Strom/142135202464656

· Registered
1,653 Posts
I am thinking you are ok. I would check any of the sensors that go to the engine to make sure they are the same and if not change them out. All other items should work just fine. There is at least one person on VSRI that has a SV motor in his vstrom. He did change out everything including the computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.