StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So were stuck in a "polar vortex" up here. My little 1500w garage heater is no match for the below zero temps. As soon as it gets to reasonable temps again I'm gonna tear into it. Have a buddy lined up to help move the big bits, so I hope to have all the tedious stripping down/swapping done.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

The '05 is about ready to give up the goods.

Now to prep the '02 for surgery.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
In case anyones wondering...yes, thats an overhead door down the middle of my one car garage. It divides it into 2 12'x12' zones, one insulated (shop), one not (storage).

Really helps not having to heat up the entire space.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Gathering some supplies...case cover and exhaust gaskets, oil and whatnot. Found a m20 bolt today...hope its right.

Looking through the book, it calls for a few special tools: "engine mounting thrust adjuster", and "rotor holder".

Should I order these? Is there a workaround/off the shelf alternative?

Anything else I should gather up?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,528 Posts
Rotor holder is a very large Cresent Wrench. If using an impact wrench to tighten M20 bolt, don't really need a rotor holder. Not sure about the thrust adjuster. Never had to do one. Might be able to make one out of an old socket.

Reactions: foxfire

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
...Not sure about the thrust adjuster. Never had to do one. Might be able to make one out of an old socket.
You need two different sizes (assuming it's the same as on the SV) Possible to make them out of sockets, and you might find some on ebay. I bought the Suzuki tool.

Reactions: foxfire

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ive pulled clutch baskets on other bikes before by just restraining the rear wheel. Should work the same with the rotor, me thinks.

Been looking into diy thrust adjust sockets...time vs. $ makes me want track down a cheap knockoff if possible.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Been incredibly busy lately, little garage time. Bear with me.

The only alternative 'thrust adjuster' I could find is a Motion Pro at ~$50. Ok, fine. But damnit, my buddy just offered up his upcoming weekend, and best case the tool gets here early next week. No biggie, I'm handy, I'll just whittle one up out of an old socket.

Figured I should get a good look at the offending part. Pulled the mount bolt out of the '05, and...er...um...

20210222_181018.jpg

...what is this now? I have a socket to carve up for the lock nut, but what fits the adjuster itself? Went through my pretty extensive socket collection and cant get anything on it.

Went to the '02 to see whats there and it's got what the book shows (under all the crash bar bits).

20210222_180913.jpg

So I can make a tool for both locknuts, and another for the '02 adjuster (or just buy the tool and wait), but what do I need for the '05?

Are these interchangeable...where if I fubar the '05 one getting it out, I can still use the '02 one with the proper(ish) tool?

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Been 11-12 years since I did a motor swap, but my memory is that it just took a socket.
I'd be astonished if the '02 and '05 were different.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
They sure look different. '02 adjuster has the recesses for the "special tool" (guessing the smaller end) like my book shows. '05 looks like it needs another tool all together (no recesses, rounded off flats on the OD).

Lock nuts, however, look the same...which gives me faith that if I get creative (destructive) pulling the '05 one, I can still use the '02 one for final assembly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Good news...both motors are hung in opposite bikes now.

Also good news (this one's kinda hard to admit, see post #7)...my bike is actually an '03 model year (built in '02). Had to go check the title.

I figured it out as I was trying to pull the rotor. Noticed theres more magnets than I expected.

Soooo...rotor and stator are the same between both engines!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
2 things of note concerning the rotor...

A large adjustable wrench won't work as a "holder". The flats on the rotor are slightly tapered, so unless youre square on it (which you cant be coming in at an angle with a big wrench) it will just slip off. I went as far as measuring it up and marking out a piece of sheet stock I was gonna fab into a tool.

And the magnets in the '03 motor had 'migrated'. Not touching, but close. Once I get the new(er) motor running, I will be checking/JB Weld-ing that one.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,528 Posts
2 things of note concerning the rotor...

A large adjustable wrench won't work as a "holder". The flats on the rotor are slightly tapered, so unless youre square on it (which you cant be coming in at an angle with a big wrench) it will just slip off. I went as far as measuring it up and marking out a piece of sheet stock I was gonna fab into a tool.

And the magnets in the '03 motor had 'migrated'. Not touching, but close. Once I get the new(er) motor running, I will be checking/JB Weld-ing that one.
You don't actually have to remove the rotor to do the "JB Weld" fix......

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Oh yeah, I know. I was only gonna pull the rotor when I thought it was different.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts