StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,528 Posts
You cannot, I don't think, just use the 02 stator on the 05 engine. I think you will have to r/r the rotor from the 02 and intall that on the 05 to do that. Along with the stator....

Yet I am not 100% sure of that. It would depend on the inner diameter of the magnets and how many poles each stator has.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ahh...I'm lost here. Cant swap the stators...but the '05 stator may not work...that leaves me with an engine that wont work in my '02.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Maybe i read that wrong. I can (maybe?) put both stator AND rotor from '02 in the '05...its gonna suck to do...but its the only way to make it all happy?

·
5,528 Posts
Maybe i read that wrong. I can (maybe?) put both stator AND rotor from '02 in the '05...its gonna suck to do...but its the only way to make it all happy?
To be sure all the electrics work, swapping the 02 rotor and stator to the 05 engine would be easiest. The rotor can be very, very stubborn to remove. Do NOT try to use a pulley remover. You must use a bolt that threads into the center of the rotor. Tap on that bolt some. Cuss. Tap. repeat.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Be careful of wanting the 02-03 style shield....theyre gettn harder to find than the 04-12 ( & 04-11 650) style. Also..aftermkt shields are available in many styles.
If you like the silver frame...there shouldnt be any difference between years on that. But youd have same yr sn#s keeping the 05 engine & frame together...makin the bike an easier possible sale in the future.
Fuel tanks & most other body pieces should interchange...but not the front upper around headlights & upper dash which houses the guages. Extra brackets for adj shield & diff guages on the 05 wont work with 02 uppers. Those uppers are usually black on most year models....but your 02 may have been painted. Possibly..the black 05 upper could compliment the custom paint on the other 02 body panels.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Be careful of wanting the 02-03 style shield....theyre gettn harder to find than the 04-12 ( & 04-11 650) style. Also..aftermkt shields are available in many styles. I have a nice aftermarket shield on my '02 already.
If you like the silver frame...there shouldnt be any difference between years on that. But youd have same yr sn#s keeping the 05 engine & frame together...makin the bike an easier possible sale in the future. '02 is silver, '05 black. Not a big deal, just prefer silver. Not too worried about resale...its not worth a whole lot, and the intention is to keep it a long while.
Fuel tanks & most other body pieces should interchange...but not the front upper around headlights & upper dash which houses the guages. Extra brackets for adj shield & diff guages on the 05 wont work with 02 uppers. Those uppers are usually black on most year models....but your 02 may have been painted. Possibly..the black 05 upper could compliment the custom paint on the other 02 body panels. I already sold off most of the '05 cowl. If it was easier than swapping engines, I wouldnt be against swapping the whole body on to the '05 (along with all the farkles), but I worry the '02 gauges wont work with the '05 harness.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Soo, yeah...all different part #'s. Getting a bit disheartened. I really hope I didn't dig myself into a corner here, and have to buy back all the '05 parts I just sold and just use that bike as is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here's another idea...

I went down this path thinking it would be easier than trying to repair the '02 engine, which has a broken front cam chain. I have no idea what was damaged when it broke, but it ran (without any horrible noise) on one cylinder for a bit after.

It had some odd valve clearance measurements (that I corrected a while ago) that I'm also concerned with.

What I'm contemplating...worth trying to repair the '02 motor and just sell the complete running '05 motor?

I assume that would involve splitting cases (to get a new chain on)...which means I'm basically doing a full rebuild while I'm in there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
They were few and far between when I was looking. When I heard the engine itself was the same over years, I jumped on a the lightly crashed '05 for little more than I would have paid for just the engine.

Yeah, knowing what I know now, I would have kept looking for an '02 engine...or just gave up on the '02 and bought a newer one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Microfiche shows a different part # for the part of the harnesses that plug to the gauges. I havent gotten to physically see the plug on the '02 yet, but I'm expecting it to be different.

So...is swapping the stator/rotor really THAT hard?

·
Registered
411 Posts
You might check for the old thread on doin an SV1000 engine swap. I think it was into an 03 Strom ....VSRI forum too

·
5,528 Posts
Microfiche shows a different part # for the part of the harnesses that plug to the gauges. I havent gotten to physically see the plug on the '02 yet, but I'm expecting it to be different.

So...is swapping the stator/rotor really THAT hard?
The gauges are completely different, no surprise the harness is too.

Swapping the rotor and stator should be simple. As far as technical stuff goes. The PROBLEM is getting the rotors broken loose from the crankshaft! They mount on a keyed Morse taper. Once it moves even the slightest amount it will fall off. Getting it to break free and move is the challenge. There is a flanged bolt that holds the rotor in place, while tight that usually comes off without undue drama. You can buy an M20 bolt to remove the rotor, but I cannot remember for sure the pitch. I think it is a 1.5 mm pitch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I appreciate the walkthrough. Tell me, once i get the flanged rotor bolt off, and i have this new M20 bolt, what am I doing with it (to remove the rotor)? Like, is there another threaded hole it runs into to drive it off? Does it run into the hole the flanged bolt comes out of...how does that work?

·
5,528 Posts
Once you remove the flange head bolt that holds the rotor ON....that will expose the M20 threads in the inner diameter of the rotor. Below those is a space....then the end of the crankshaft. You thread the M20 fastener into the threads on the rotor. Once it hits the crankshaft it will put a direct force against the rotor trying to separate the two. Put some grease on the end of the M20 bolt. You will have to put a lot of torque against it. Then tap with a hammer. They sometimes will quite literally POP off!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Side note...noticed your tag line...

The '02 supposedly has a Werks basket. Is there a way to identify it vs stock (other than it sounded great when it ran)? If so, I may as well swap that over to the new motor.

·
5,528 Posts
You can look into the oil fill hole on the clutch cover. Looking at the basket fingers, do they look like they are shiny/polished? That is a one clue, about the only one you can use without pulling the cover. If you pull the cover, the anti-balloon ring around the basket will be machined smooth on a WERKS modified basket. If you do remove the basket there may be some numbers written on it, some paint markings lining up, and of course look for allen head fasteners instead of rivets. There will be a bearing under the oil pump gear on almost all of them too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You can look into the oil fill hole on the clutch cover. Looking at the basket fingers, do they look like they are shiny/polished? That is a one clue, about the only one you can use without pulling the cover. If you pull the cover, the anti-balloon ring around the basket will be machined smooth on a WERKS modified basket. If you do remove the basket there may be some numbers written on it, some paint markings lining up, and of course look for allen head fasteners instead of rivets. There will be a bearing under the oil pump gear on almost all of them too.
Cool, thanks! I'll give it a look.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts