StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent been around these parts for a while...really since my '02 DL1K decided to throw its front cam chain.

Well, I recently bought another V...this ones an '05. I was planning to move the farkles off the '03 to the '05, but theres quit a bit wrong with the new one...and lots of farkles...and, turns out i really like some of the details of the '03 vs the '05 (solid mount shield, analog dash, silver frame, etc).

So im wondering if anyone knows how easily the '05 motor would swap into the '03. Are the harnesses the same? Would it work with the analog gauges, dummy lights and whatnot?

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Disclaimer, I haven't done this particular swap.

You should be able to, as long as you're swapping the bare motor. At most, you may have to pull the '03 stator and put in on the '05.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bare motor like...leave the harness/ecu/sensors on the '03 and plug into the '05 motor?

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Bare motor like...leave the harness/ecu/sensors on the '03 and plug into the '05 motor?
And the fuel injection system.
My only real experience with motor swaps involves 1st gen (carburetor) and 2nd gen (FI) SV650s. On those, you had to swap the stator and associated wiring so it would plug into the "wrong" gens wiring harness. Also had to swap valve covers because of emissions equipment.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Please clarify, in post #1 you refer to a K2 Vee, then in the same post as being a K3 Vee? For the basic differences of the Vee models over the years, see Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - Wikipedia. Note the entry of the K3 Vee stator output upgrade and the K4 (2004) Vee ECU upgrade from 16-bit to 32-bit. This would imply that some harness connectors may be differently wired.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So then i need the whole everything from the new motor?

Maybe better to move all the farkles and such to the '05 then? I can deal with the black frame...but can the other '02 bits go on the '05 (cowl with solid shield, analog gauges)? The '02 has custom paint...im sure the body parts bolt up fine, but what about the tank? Would i have to use the '05 fuel pump (is there anything else in there)?

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
So then i need the whole everything from the new motor?

Maybe better to move all the farkles and such to the '05 then? I can deal with the black frame...but can the other '02 bits go on the '05 (cowl with solid shield, analog gauges)? The '02 has custom paint...im sure the body parts bolt up fine, but what about the tank? Would i have to use the '05 fuel pump (is there anything else in there)?
No, I think it would be easiest to swap motor. Leave everything else in place. Anything that's not the bare motor stays with the bike it came on.
With the possible exception of stator, if it's different. (I suspect it's the same, but don't know for sure.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...so the whole '02 harness/ecu/fuel system/etc (and, if necessary, stator) should plug into the '05 motor? And then that motor would bolt into the '02 frame?

Sounds straightforward enough.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Ok...so the whole '02 harness/ecu/fuel system/etc (and, if necessary, stator) should plug into the '05 motor? And then that motor would bolt into the '02 frame?

Sounds straightforward enough.
Yes. The motor will bolt right in, and the only electrical connection between the engine and the harness is the plug from the stator.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Oh, and the ground strap. Don't forget the ground strap. I have a, um, friend, who forgets the damn ground strap on SV motor swaps all the time, and then can't figure out what's hanging up and preventing the motor from coming out. Don't be like that idiot.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Oops, yeah...its a '02.
Ii put an 04 engine into my 03 and it works well. Just the bare motor. Everything else was the same.

Reactions: Gert

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Janice!! How have you been?!?!?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gonna be digging in soon. Loose plan is strip the '05 motor and put it in the '02...using evering electric from the '02. Can anyone confirm if I need to swap the stator or not? Anything else?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,528 Posts
Gonna be digging in soon. Loose plan is strip the '05 motor and put it in the '02...using evering electric from the '02. Can anyone confirm if I need to swap the stator or not? Anything else?
Rotor and stator are different in the 02. Less output, but never seem to fail. I suppose either would work, but the 05 motor has the rotor with more magnets. Pain to get the rotors loose.......should you decide to keep the 02 style. If you think the 05 charging system works, I would use that side cover/stator and the later style rotor already on the engine. Less things to complicate the swap. I think the connector is the same 3 wires.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I dont need to change the stators? Leave it in the '05 motor and plug it into the '02 harness?

That would save a lot of trouble.

Would I get the increased output then? '02 regulator can handle it?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,528 Posts
I would double check that the connectors look they would connect. The 02 Rectifier is a different part number. I have no idea about it handling the extra 25 watts!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah...thats where I'm unsure. If I use the '05 stator, then do I need the '05 rectifier? And does that all work with the '02 harness?

Or, should i swap the stator and just run all '02 electrical?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts