StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I decided to change my riding style from pure city to more adventurous and bought Suzuki DL1000 (y2002), however I bought it with faulty TPS - according to seller, radiator had a leak and sprayed TPS with antifreeze. C14 error was showing, rev after starting sometimes go up randomly, but I managed to drive it home safely. Being sure that it is TPS problem I bought new one from official dealer and using this forum and internet knowledge changed it. On idle error was gone, dash was showing TPS to be calibrated (-C00), however when I tried to apply throttle - engine just choked, tried that few more times and sometimes C14 error would show for a brief time again.

After moving sensor little bit I have managed to find a position where engine would not die after applying throttle (or maybe it just got warm enough), took bike for a short test ride and next problem became apparent - RPS was uneven, sometimes it drop to around 1k and sometimes it rises to 3k without applying throttle (riding with first or second gear). While driving after sudden drop in RPS bike would slow down significantly (naturally), one time it even choked again, but after starting I managed to get it move and ride back to my parking loot.

My question, what I did wrong? TPS is new so it should not be problem itself, but at the same time no other errors showing. Any advices what I could check or do?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
How did you go about in replacing the TPS? What did you remove to get access to the throttle body? I have a suspicion that you may have omitted to reconnect a connector somewhere on the air box or throttle body.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's not just -C00, but you also need to make sure that the bar rises to the top somewhere between 1700 and 2000 RPM. That requires some careful adjustment. There are numerous write-ups on this forum how to do that.

Another mistake that I made when replacing the TPS: There is a little rubber ring around the stem. But when you remove the TPS that rubber ring may stick to the throttle body. If you then install the new TPS you've got two rubber rings, which is going to lead to binding. Not good.

A final tip: Once everything is in place and tightened down, switch the ignition on but don't start the bike. Rotate the throttle through its full range of movement a couple of times, then switch the ignition off. This supposedly calibrates the ECU to the full throttle range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Gert I have removed only covering plastic and fuel tank, haven't touched anything else so unless I accidently disconnected something while sticking my hand inside (since there are little bit tight on space) it should be purely TPS fault at this point or some other problem not connected with disassembly.

@BackPacker thank you, very good advice. Rubber ring sound like very plausible cause i will be sure to check it tomorrow if weather will allow me. Also I have bought spray for cleaning contacts, I am planning to try clean connector with it (I have cleaned it as much as I could then changing TPS, but had no spray so I hope that also might help).

·
Registered
44 Posts
The tps needs proper adjustment I had a stall issue and payed to have them syncd.
That was the end of the issue. Also I recently upgraded to iridium sparks made the engine so much smoother at idle and low revs. I got a 2004 dl 1000...

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
It's not just -C00, but you also need to make sure that the bar rises to the top somewhere between 1700 and 2000 RPM. That requires some careful adjustment. There are numerous write-ups on this forum how to do that.

Another mistake that I made when replacing the TPS: There is a little rubber ring around the stem. But when you remove the TPS that rubber ring may stick to the throttle body. If you then install the new TPS you've got two rubber rings, which is going to lead to binding. Not good.

A final tip: Once everything is in place and tightened down, switch the ignition on but don't start the bike. Rotate the throttle through its full range of movement a couple of times, then switch the ignition off. This supposedly calibrates the ECU to the full throttle range.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^buy this man a cold drink^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@BackPacker I am eternally gratefull to you! Turns out I really forgot to remove old rubber ring when removed TPS. Now after fixing this error everything works perfectly. If not your advise I most likely still be stuck or already delivering bike for the shop to wait month or so for someone to look at. Such a rookie mistake to do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts