StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm outfitting my 2002 Vee for a trip up to Prudhoe Bay, AK next year and decided to try and save a bit with a DIY engine plate. It's just a rock and gravel guard not a skid plate designed to carry the weight of the bike so it's only 1/16" aluminum with aluminum rivets.
I decided to use the existing brackets that the plastic rock guard mounted so I made a cardboard template. Then drilled 1/2" holes at all the bend joints of the bottom plate, I just clamped the aluminum between a couple of pieces of wood in the vise to make the bends. I cut out the sides on the band saw and temporarily clamped them to the bottom plate to check the fit and clearances to the bike. Flat sides looked pretty boring so I added a couple of bends to add some shape. Ventilation holes were cut on the sides and in front of the exhaust pipe. After filing all the edges smooth I used #5 aluminum rivets to fasten the sides to the bottom...much easier than I thought it would be. After drilling the mounting holes and checking the fit I decided it looked a bit clunky so I trimmed the sides down a bit. I'll be painting it flat black as well as fabricating a fastener so it attaches to the crash bar. Once it's riveted and mounted it feels rigid enough to deflect those Dalton Hwy rocks...I hope. It looks homemade but I expect it will out perform the plastic OEM.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't doubt yourself on the looks of it, I think it actually looks really great.

Nice job!

Now, post up those measurements :)

Kidding.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Wow..........that looks really good......job well done!!! :hurray:
Think about adding a fenda-extenda for added insurance from gravel flung up from the front tire??

Now, if you could make a windshield out of the same aluminum.........:fineprint:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks better than my SW Motech:hurray:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been looking into skid plates since I picked up my new-to-me DL1000 a couple of weeks ago and have been appalled at the prices. I've been thinking about building one myself and you, kind sir, have shown me how to do it. Well done and thank-you!

Alex

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks guys, I've had the engine guard on for about 30 miles of gravel roads and it seems to be pretty sturdy and no overheating issues. I'm making up a bracket to attach to the centre bolt of the Givi crash bars to make sure it stays rigid. I think I'll take some aluminum in to the local college and see if I can get some one like a welding student to make a couple welds for me.

oh ya...total cost so far, $7.00 for the aluminum from the scrap yard and $8 for paint, I already had the rivets, not sure what they cost.
...and about 3 days of quality garage time.
Ron

r

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have any dimensions for the plate? I'm wanting to build one and would appreciate any help since you've already taken the time to do the mock-up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks nice, I've been thinking about building one myself but to fit under the oem lower cowling.
Might work on that next weekend, thanks for the motivation

·
Registered
14,835 Posts
Kudo's. There always is the satisfaction of DIY. That's as good looking as any on the market.
Hopefully it serves you well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts