StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

New to biking, new to the site. I have a DL1000 with ~1800 miles on it. I have some strange noises coming from the motor which include a consistent vibrating, rattling, & "knocking" sound. THe other thing is that I have my idol sitting at 1200rpm but it fluctuates +/-100rpm all the time. If I rev it up to ~3000 rpm, it will sometimes drop to 600rpm and sometimes cut out. Another funny thing is that when I first start it I only get smoke/exhaust from one muffler. It is making me belief that the vibrating/rattling noise are the valves on one of the cylinders. Could that be the case? Also, reading through many posts it sounds like performing a TBS might fix a lot of these issues.

Any ideas? I am getting worried about it as it seems to be getting worst? Thanks in advance for your help.:confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like 'air leak' to me.
Check all the connections between air cleaner box, TB, and engines.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You can spray WD40 around those connections. If it makes the exhaust smoke, you have an air leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great guys, thanks. I will give that a try to see if I can discover an air leak.

Should also mention that it does back-fire as well.

Dion

·
38,048 Posts
That is common with an air leak. Is it a backfire through the intake or an afterfire through the exhaust?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not quite sure how to differentiate between the 2, however, I would venture to just it is through the intake as it sounds more muffled and located below the seat as opposed to louder and behind the seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Torque Specs

Guys,

What are the torque specs for the various bolts on the DL1000? I have searched this site and cannot find the answer. In particular the engine exhaust bolts and the oil drain plug? Is there a book or reference to the torque specs for ALL the botls?

Thanks.

·
38,048 Posts
That really sounds like a popped boot. Buy a service manual.

·
not very quiet
289 Posts
I bought my 650 service manual from Ebay for half price. It's the correct year and everything. I don't trust the torque values to be the same, or I'd look them up for you.

With 1800 miles, is it still in warranty? Maybe you don't own a trailer, but if it were me, I'd have the dealer all over it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts