StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the last of my engine performance upgrades yesterday which was the Super Tune Kit from Holeshot Performance which includes a custom made by Dobeck Performance for Holeshot fuel manager, with Dales custom dyno tuned settings to work in conjunction with the Arrow header and Holeshot’s 17” Slip-on I already have installed. The kit also comes with (2) O2 sensor eliminator plugs, and a special plug that allows you to unplug the fuel manager from the sub-harness for troubleshooting purposes.

The kit also comes with a curved S/S rain shield that bolts to the front of the airbox to help keep rainwater from entering the air box once the factory rubber snorkel is removed. I also installed a new K&N air filter which is also part of Dales overall Super Tune Kit.

This was my first time with this bike removing all of the parts of to get the gas tank off as well as removing the tank and the airbox, and it only took me 45 minutes. So now that I know all of the idiosyncrasies of doing it, when I ever have to take it down this far again it will go even quicker. The V-Strom is a breeze to work on compared to my 2013 FJR1300 I sold last year which was a PITA to work on, and which was one of the main reasons I sold it, and a main complaint amongst FJR owners.

So I’m taking the bike out for a test ride later today. :smile2:

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Do you plan on putting it on a dyno ? or just seat of your pants stuff ?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Most OEM maps seem to be lean at low rpm's and rich at high rpm's, at least it was for the new Kaw Z900.

I'm not a fan of the Holeshot pipes sound but he doesn't have a video for the L8 V-strom. He only gets around 7 HP out of the L4 bike. The flywheel on the new DL seems to be a man hole cover and it doesn't fit on the SV1000. Built for lower rpm torque instead of high rpm horsepower.

https://youtu.be/hs9cZVTdUVY

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
"gets the same mileage (or worse), doesn't run cooler, goes like a stink and stinks like skunk (since it runs to rich now)"

I guess that's a win/win?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
"gets the same mileage (or worse), doesn't run cooler, goes like a stink and stinks like skunk (since it runs to rich now)"

I guess that's a win/win?
It must be for him that, what counts his Money...>:)

Reactions: notacop

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
In high school, wasn't all the money we spent on our cars to make it faster? Dang right!
One of the most expensive mods I did was pulling the oil bath air filter to make the carb noise more audible.
At least several seconds faster by the ear!
Made my '50 Plymouth 4 dr a rocket!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Starts the same way, gets the same mileage (or worse), doesn't run cooler, goes like a stink and stinks like skunk (since it runs to rich now)
With the PCFC, you can lean out any range (low, mid and high) with the dials. You never want to go too lean, but if it's smelling like gas or scorched fuel, try leaning it a bit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, I just want to say that I am very happy overall with all of the performance mod upgrades I did to my 2018 DL1000XT, and I know how easily threads about things like performance mods can become just like a thread about what oil to use, and we all know how those end up, so YRMV :wink2:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Metric Metal, I've done way more things to my DL 1000 engine that you have and love the results. I enjoy having a "sleeper" bike. We have a lot of young Navy lads here that ride, and I love to go on rides with them and they can't lose me. I've had more than one stop and ask me, "What is that thing???". Meaning, how on earth is that ugly thing staying up with me? I love that feeling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts