StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m relatively new to biking in general. Yesterday I had this problem. I rode to New York in the morning and naturally stuck in traffic. I was moving very slow for about 40 min, around 10 miles per our all in the first gear, often in the friction zone, rarely switching to second, and the engine overheated. I polled over, let it to cool down and moved on. Then it was ok. I wonder if I was doing anything wrong. I checked the coolant level, its fool.

Thanks!
Scherbie
DL650 2006

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you get all the "temp bars" on? Playing around with cones by my house, I've seen all but the last bar on, using only first and second gear in a parking lot... probably not faster than 15mph.

These bikes are not comfortable at low speeds. They're adrenaline junkies :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
That doesn't sound right, Scherbie. These bikes have (IMHO) an oversize cooling system, perhaps because they share the one designed for the Vee's 1000 ccs. I've never seen mine go beyond the standard three bars, even in 100+F Sacramento city traffic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That doesn't sound right, Scherbie. These bikes have (IMHO) an oversize cooling system, perhaps because they share the one designed for the Vee's 1000 ccs. I've never seen mine go beyond the standard three bars, even in 100+F Sacramento city traffic.
Have you ridden it super slowly though? 40 min at like 10mph should overheat pretty much any bike, right?

Oh and I just realized something... is 3 bars standard on the Wee? My Vee runs on 2 bars. It would be interesting to see other comments regarding standard running temp.

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
The cooling system should be able to maintain operating temps. It's not even hot out up around us.

OP, describe what you mean by overheated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've always had 3 bars on the temp gauge, and that's even when I ride in 40 degree weather. 3 bars too when I've ridden when it's 90. I have never been at low speeds for much time, but I think it sounds funny that it would overheat with the coolant system.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Last summer sat in traffic for an hour in 90 deg F: first time the fan came on ever...stayed at 3 bars; this was on the way to death valley. Puttered and went slow in spots there...must have been 115 deg F at Badwater. Never went above 3 bars. The ST1100 and ST1300 that I was with got hotter but didn't overheat.

I'd say something's not right. Did the fan come on?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Have you ridden it super slowly though? 40 min at like 10mph should overheat pretty much any bike, right?
The other replies say it all -- something ain't right with your bike, most likely the thermostat if you regularly get two bars (3 is normal) and then it occasionally overheats.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You should be able to park your Wee for an hour without it being in any danger of overheating.

Check your fan (behind radiator). Does it come on? Does it spin freely when the engine is off? I purchased a used Burgman for my wife and it overheated while she was practicing in a new development. Turns out the previous owner had hit something that pushed the radiator into fan enough to blow the fuse. New fuse and it was good to go.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Possibilities--
--bad thermoswitch for the fan
--something wrong with the fan itself
--dirt, bugs, crud partly plugging the air passages through the radiator
--'06 shouldn't have the radiator internals clogged yet, but could if the wrong product got into it somehow. Try flushing the radiator and renewing the coolant.

So, does the fan run when the bike gets more than normally warm? If so, check the radiator. In fact, take a very close look at everything on the cooling system.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Scherbie, how did you know it overheated? And do you know if the fan came on?

The fan makes a fair amount of noise, but you might not notice it if you were using earplugs.

Theoretically, the fan allows the DL650 to maintain its proper temp even when not moving at all. I've only tested that ability once when I left the engine running at about 2000 RPM for about 15 minutes to watch for an oil leak. The fan came on after about 5 minutes and the temp bars stayed normal. (3 bars for mine)

PS: I think the watercooling system with fan makes the Weestrom an excellent commuter.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
528 Posts
My wee stays at three bars most of the time. When it's cooler (up here, imagine that) it will go to three then down to two for about 10-15 seconds then back to three. This is when starting out, not all the time. Guess I feel this just lets me know that the coolant is circulating...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the comments! I'll definitely check the cooling system. I was hoping that there was something wrong with my riding skills. But I didn't notice the fan kicking in (should I have heard the sound?), so I'd assume, that's the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I knew because of the 5 bars on the display and the red signal in the middle and I didn't hear the fan, so now i think this is the problem.

Scherbie, how did you know it overheated? And do you know if the fan came on?

The fan makes a fair amount of noise, but you might not notice it if you were using earplugs.

Theoretically, the fan allows the DL650 to maintain its proper temp even when not moving at all. I've only tested that ability once when I left the engine running at about 2000 RPM for about 15 minutes to watch for an oil leak. The fan came on after about 5 minutes and the temp bars stayed normal. (3 bars for mine)

PS: I think the watercooling system with fan makes the Weestrom an excellent commuter.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got figured out. Happened to be very simple really. For whatever reason the fan wasn't plugged in. I guess it has been so from the last service, when the bike wasn't even mine yet. Anyways, rode few times to New York, often in traffic. Overheats no more!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great to hear you solved the problem and don't need to worry about overheating in traffic.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Got figured out. Happened to be very simple really. For whatever reason the fan wasn't plugged in. I guess it has been so from the last service, when the bike wasn't even mine yet. Anyways, rode few times to New York, often in traffic. Overheats no more!
Sherbie, Where is the fan switch located? Easy to see?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not easy to see. After guys here (thanks again!) suggested to check the fan, I did and saw the wire hanging. I wasn't even sure if it was from the fan but it sure didn't seem right, and I sure didn't know where to plug it in. So I took the bike to the shop. The guys had to take all the plastics off to plug it in. Asked me who did the last service. I couldn't know, I just got the bike. Didn't charge me a buck, told me to come for service. I sure will :yesnod:

Sherbie, Where is the fan switch located? Easy to see?
Going for the ride now! The weather wishers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts