Strom Trooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning til drive my MC during winter if not to cold. At least if not below 0 degrees Celsius.

Suzuki shop was putting Castrol semi synth. 10W40 power 1 in it a couple of months ago when it was there for the first 1.000 km service.

Would you use this oil for winter or change to a thinner one?

Regards, Lars.

·
Super Moderator
4,934 Posts
From Mobil "Most oils on the shelves today are "Multigrades", which simply means that the oil falls into two viscosity grades (i.e. 10W-40 etc). In a 10W-40 for example the 10W bit (W = winter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity or flow at low temperature. The lower the "W" number the better the oil's cold temperature performance."
i.e. 5W/30 will flow better in extreme cold conditions but unless you are riding in -10C or more I would keep to the standard 10W/40, which Suzuki states as being suitable for -20 degree conditions. Just ride gently until the bike is warmed up.

The below chart is from a V-Strom owners manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
By the chart I see that I can use 20w-50 in Phoenix AZ. I have some of that left over from dirt bikes. Some people worry too much about oil. I once bought a full case of Honda synthetic oil for a good price from someone who sold his Honda and bought some yamaha oil for his new Yamaha. I had to bite my tongue while completing the transaction.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts
(Wonder when we will have to merge this thread into the oil thread?)

I used a very popular 5W40 synthetic. It works fine for me from 0f (-18c) up to 100f (38c). Actually up to 54c 126f in Death Valley on my 2006 DL650.

..Tom

·
Registered
175 Posts
redline oil has a 0W40 powersports synthetic sol at canadian tire that is about 10 more viscous than Amsoil 10W40 art 100 degrees C buy noticeably thinner at 0 degrees C. best of both worlds

It's volatility is slightly higher — 9 versus 7 percent — so you'll have to check oil levels once in a while but this should be a good one

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
I use cooking oil. Peanut oil is my favorite. Canola is OK in a pinch. Watch out for vegetable oil, your clutch will slip badly.
I used to use peanut oil. But developed an allergy to it. Switched to Avocado oil. Not sure if that is a fruit, vegetable, or nut? But the shifting was so improved I don't care. I now think avocado oil is the best oil you can use. Everyone should use it.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts
I used to use peanut oil. But developed an allergy to it. Switched to Avocado oil. Not sure if that is a fruit, vegetable, or nut? But the shifting was so improved I don't care. I now think avocado oil is the best oil you can use. Everyone should use it.
Do you use regular or organic?

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Ooooh, I can use my 20w50 down to -10!!

Now I just need to find a 30w60.... cause thicker is better, ya know!

/sarcasm

OP, any 10w40 (JASO) will manage the temps you mentioned just fine. I've still got the 20w50 (yes, that part wasn't sarcasm) in the crankcase and it was 6 degrees a couple mornings this week. She started up just fine... no noticeable viscosity issues at all. And this is conventional!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use the organic avocado oil. My wee strom will now do the quarter mile in 9 seconds and mileage went up to 85 miles per gallon. Have also found that the avocado oil vapor has an
aphrodisiac effect on women and they chase me and try to kiss me and want to have sex with me. Unfortunately, this never happens when I am awake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts