StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, still relatively new here and to my Strom. Realised the other day that I haven't checked my oil in far too long, and have discovered that it looks less than ideal. Been meaning to change it and the filter (last done ~4k km ago) but haven't got around to it. And just want to consult on wtf is going on (is it out of oil, too much, rusty?) and whether I should still be riding atm (it's my mode of transport). I was panicking thinking it was empty and have put 150 ml in today, but now panicking it's overfilled as it doesn't really look any different to originally. (Photo is from letting it idle for a couple min on centre stand).
Pls help.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well, is it overfilled or not? What's the level with the engine off, after a few minutes of letting gravity do its work?

I can well imagine that if the oil is overfilled, the crank or other moving parts will whip up the oil, eventually creating foam.

The only other explanation I can think of, but hardly likely since it's your daily ride, is way too much (condensation) water in the oil. This typically happens when the bike is only started for a few minutes a month over a long layup period, and the oil doesn't get hot enough over a long enough time period to evaporate all the water. I've seen a similar thing happen in a hydraulic system (not on a motorbike) where the reservoir had gotten quite some rainwater in it (lid was left open by accident). The oil/water mixture looked kinda similar to your pic.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
For starters, drain it all out and look at it. The oil needs to be changed - looks like water to me but hard to see until you drain it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Drain that oil immediately (do not ride) and replace the filter. Smell the oil (do you detect any fuel or coolant smell?). Think about keeping a sample in a clean container for sending for analysis to blackstone labs.

Fill to the top of the sight glass, warm the engine w/o riding it, and top off the oil. Note that oil level is checked when the bike is vertical, not on the side stand. You can hold the bike vertical by balancing it from the right grip while looking at the sight glass.

Monitor the sight glass carefully for a return of the foam.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
To me it looks low and it's frothing up.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,612 Posts
These bikes are known for doing this. If used for short trips the oil does not get enough heat into it to remove the condensation from air that gets into the crankcase. Must be run for a good amount of time to get the entire engine up to temp where the oil can get up to and over 180 degrees. Only then will it evaporate this condensation. Yours looks exactly like others I have seen......

·
Registered
532 Posts
This does not look like the typical fogged window from not warming up/short trips. It looks like you got some water in the oil. If that is true you need to change the oil and filter. And find the source. Might have to change the oil a couple of times since you cannot get it all out.. Or did you try saving money by using butter instead of oil?

·
Registered
524 Posts
It also tends to look like blow-by from bad piston rings. I doubt it since these engines are pretty well made but I had one vehicle that did exactly that. One cylinder was bad and the pressure from the combustion "frothed" the oil. A good way to tell if it's that is a pressure check, or look at the air cleaner area...

·
Registered
1050xt Adventure
89 Posts
Water or gas contamination.
When was the last ride ? Any smoke when starting?
Gas - relative easy fix. A seal or boot to the carbs/bodies is leaking. OR overfilled the gas tank. Small the oil. If it smell gas, this is likely the issue.

Water - harder fix. Head gasket or other water related issue. Smell and feel the oil. If its feels soapie and doesn't smell like oil, it's likely water. Check your water level in the radiator and catch bottle

Drain now. Refill and ride. Let it sit for a week if you can and see what it looks like. Check the water level in the radiator and catch bottle.

Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the correct answer.
These bikes are known for doing this. If used for short trips the oil does not get enough heat into it to remove the condensation from air that gets into the crankcase. Must be run for a good amount of time to get the entire engine up to temp where the oil can get up to and over 180 degrees. Only then will it evaporate this condensation. Yours looks exactly like others I have seen......

·
Registered
1050xt Adventure
89 Posts
Disagree. I am of the opinion this is less than typical. It is a simple test to see if this is a real problem. Do not ignore it as normal until your sure.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
799 Posts
Clearly it is one of two things. Firstly, and most problematic, is that a water pump seal has failed and coolant is getting in the oil. Secondly, is that as suggested above, the motor is being used for too many short journeys and is not getting hot enough to evaporate moisture that builds up because of combustion.

I suggest changing the oil immediately and then take the bike for a good run of say 60kms at a good pace. If the oil is clear when You return then all is possibly good. If however it is milky again then you have a water pump issue.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,612 Posts
Disagree. I am of the opinion this is less than typical. It is a simple test to see if this is a real problem. Do not ignore it as normal until your sure.
Nothing wrong with disagreeing!
But there are facts that back up the post I made earlier. Seems the 2012 DL 650 and newer has a bit of an issue with the new style oil to water cooler not allowing the oil to get up to temperature as quickly as the old style oil to air coolers. This was noticed quickly after this new style was introduced. Here are some threads to show the symptoms:

(This one has pics on page 3 and 4)
Water condensation in oil window

Oil level view window "fogged"

·
Registered
128 Posts
Learned Hand's formula for negligence (B=PL) gives us a clear answer on what to recommend that the OP do in this situation - change the oil immediately.

Burden (B) to avoid the possible engine damage (change the oil) is less than the probability (P) the engine damage will occur X the magnitude of the loss (L) if the engine is damaged.

cost of changing the oil < probability of engine damage X cost of engine damage

B < PL

$20 (oil change) < probability * $2000 ($1500 engine (ebay) + $500 labor)

So, if the probability that his engine will be damaged by not changing the oil is > 1%, he should change the oil.

(edited to add numbers)

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,803 Posts
So you started a cold motor, let it idle for a few minutes, stopped it, and took a picture?
And it's your normal mode of transport.

That really does not fully help diagnose your issue.
It can get bloody cold in NZ and it is winter at the moment. Do you use it to go work, and to get around town?
When did you last take it out on the open road for a 100km+ trip?
Used exclusively around town in a NZ winter on short trips, condensation in the oil is exactly what I would expect to find.

If that is the case rug up and take it for a 100km+ open road trip.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Many good responses here. Not enough information from the poster. 1. Does the oil look like this before you start the bike? 2. Can you see the oil level when the bike is vertical? 3. How soon after running the bike was the picture taken.?

There are two main diagnoses here, aeration/whipping or contamination. Other things to consider are weight spec of oil, failed water pump seal, over-filling, or, what Shelby said. Change 3 Qts and call us in the morning.:giggle:

edit: Re-read O.P. To my eye, that does not look aerated, looks contaminated. Change immediately. Monitor coolant level & oil condition. Do you fit the profile of short trips?(condensation) Head gaskets rarely fail on this bike unless there has been overheating/low coolant level. TM

·
Registered
333 Posts
Water or gas contamination.
When was the last ride ? Any smoke when starting?
Gas - relative easy fix. A seal or boot to the carbs/bodies is leaking. OR overfilled the gas tank. Small the oil. If it smell gas, this is likely the issue.

Water - harder fix. Head gasket or other water related issue. Smell and feel the oil. If its feels soapie and doesn't smell like oil, it's likely water. Check your water level in the radiator and catch bottle

Drain now. Refill and ride. Let it sit for a week if you can and see what it looks like. Check the water level in the radiator and catch bottle.

Good luck
If it's the head gasket causing coolant to enter into combustion chambers wouldn't you see clouds of white smoke drifting out of the exhaust?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts