StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I would like your opinions on engine noise please.

2 days ago I traded in my Kawasaki W400 for a 2012 vstrom (Japan-market model) here in Japan. I guess there are very few mechanical differences apart from sprocket/ratio etc between Japan / Euro / U.S. models.

Whilst my W400 had a distinctly mechanical sound, it always sounded sweet, smooth and knock-free. It had 8,000 kilos on the clock when I traded it in. Obviously, t is a parallel twin engine on the W400, not a V.

Having test-ridden both Japan / Euro - U.S. models of the V-Strom, neither of which made a knocking noise (I did not go over 4,000 rpm and accelerated gently to 4,000 as the bikes were sub-1,000 kilos themselves), I ordered a Japan model. It came with 400 kilometres on the clock, 6 months old.

Yesterday I noticed that there seems to be a "knocking noise"... or does there?
I am not used to the sound of a v-twin, and therefore I may be a little paranoid about my new bike's engine noise.
Apart from what seems to be a knocking noise, the bike sounds utterly sweet and smooth.
I have not ridden it over 4,000 rpm either.

To those of you who know much more about what engine noise to expect generally from different engine types..... please give me your opinion. Even a very, very brief opinion would be welcomed. I cannot believe that a main Suzuki dealer in Japan would intentionally sell me a bike with a knocking crank etc.

It was, however, the test-ride bike, and those 400 kilos were put on the bike (on a short course near the dealer) by people who rode it as a test-ride bike.

There is no "knocking" noise when cruising at about 3500 rpm, only on acceleration.

Thank you. I hope I have mentioned relevant info in this post.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Greywolf, I will watch the video.
I have to check the sprocket sizes to answer your question, which I cannot do right now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Greywolf

Watched video and tried to edit my post, but failed.
At 1:55 I cannot tell much from the video, but that is not the sound I mentioned.
At 2:05 onward, with the light but quick throttling of the engine though... that sounds like mine.
Perhaps I need more time to get used to the V Twin sound?
Time to take the bike out again...

I welcome all thoughts from those who have noticed this sound....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts