StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange one here guys. I’ve just dumped the oil and filter. Tightened everything up and went for a ride. I noticed a slight knock so returned home thinking I left a bolt loose in the skid plate. However it started getting worse to the point I could feel the knock through the bars. It’s definitely pronounced and not related to the clutch. Everything oil related is tight and it wasn’t doing it on the warm up old oil lap around my block. Could the oil pump not be primed? No oil getting to top end? It’s 9500km on a 18 XT1000.
help??

·
Registered
49 Posts
What oil filter did you use?
On more than one occasion I have had this on vehicles to the point that the oil pressure light is on with a relatively new filter(I have be been turning wrenches a long time)
Never seen I it happen on a bike, but easy to replace and check
Worth a shot
P.S. it has always been an aftermarket filter that has caused the problem

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What oil filter did you use?
On more than one occasion I have had this on vehicles to the point that the oil pressure light is on with a relatively new filter(I have be been turning wrenches a long time)
Never seen I it happen on a bike, but easy to replace and check
Worth a shot
P.S. it has always been an aftermarket filter that has caused the problem
I used an Amazon Fram. Same as the one I removed. I’ve dug the old one out of the trash bin after reading your comment. I’ll screw it on and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No definitely not. Unless I’m mistaken about what idle hammer is? The clutch rattles like a snake but that disappears at anything above idle. This is a knock that you can feel in the bars. It sounds like the filler cap has been left loose, a pronounced pfft pftt and when it started I immediately stopped and checked the filler cap. No idiot lights on the dash. Nothing other than the clunk sound which wasn’t there an hour before the oil change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil level is fine. No oil indication. No lights on dash. Very strange. Just a knock. My BMW friends are laughing.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,590 Posts
This doesn't sound good. Idle Hammer is ONLY heard at idle and as far as I know you cannot "feel" it.

I know Fram has a poor reputation on many forums. Deserved or not doesn't matter. This could be a case where the filter isn't flowing properly. If there was/is enough oil in the engine, there is really no way the oil pump could not be trying to pump oil.

I would go buy a new filter and try that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Strange one here guys. I’ve just dumped the oil and filter. Tightened everything up and went for a ride. I noticed a slight knock so returned home thinking I left a bolt loose in the skid plate. However it started getting worse to the point I could feel the knock through the bars. It’s definitely pronounced and not related to the clutch. Everything oil related is tight and it wasn’t doing it on the warm up old oil lap around my block. Could the oil pump not be primed? No oil getting to top end? It’s 9500km on a 18 XT1000.
help??
I will almost bet this is actually a clutch issue. This drove me nuts after my first oil change. I stopped the engine and rechecked everything after the change. I then called the dealer who had no clue. After searching the internet, it pointed very clearly to an issue with the clutch basket. There is a company called Werx that goes into quite a bit of detail about it and has a fix for it as well. YOu can send them yours or buy one from them. Here is a link to the website with details: https://www.werksparts.com/clutch-baskets-pg-1.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doesn't seem to make sense that a mechanical issue arises coincidentally with an oil change. I would guess oil or filter or potentially both. Personally I wouldn't purchase anything from Amazon that could potentially involve safety. Too many opportunities for counterfeits or wrong product application.

·
5,590 Posts
Let me add a little to this. I am WERKS Parts and have dealt with many owners of 2014 and up DL 1000.....that have had a knocking noise start immediately after the first oil change. Have not heard much about them starting after the second or third, but I assume it can happen. That is what caught my eye to start with, the description of a knock starting after an oil change. I figured I would see a typical Idle Hammer symptom. I used to sell a part to fix that. But this is NOT that as Idle Hammer does not, and cannot happen past idle rpm with no load. So this is more serious, or at least something different.

I have never heard of a clutch related problem anything close to what the OP describes.

I know coincidences can happen. Seems hard to not think it is an oil related problem. BUT...the OP says no lights on the dash so there IS oil pressure. Is it enough? Those idiot lights commonly go off as long as there is 5+ lbs of oil pressure.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Wondering where the pressure switch is, if it's before the filter and there's no oil making it's way through the filter I'd expect to see pressure and hear a knock.

·
Administrator
14,151 Posts
Oil level is fine. No oil indication. No lights on dash. Very strange. Just a knock. My BMW friends are laughing.
Thinking overfilled oil. How do you check you oil level? Ie side stand, centerstand, holding up bike etc.

..Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thinking overfilled oil. How do you check you oil level? Ie side stand, centerstand, holding up bike etc.

..Tom
Hi Tom, I added 3 litres from a fresh jug of GTX 20/50. It’s the first time I’ve used this oil in this bike. I check the oil level on its wheels by pulling the bike upright. Oil is level with the full line.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wondering where the pressure switch is, if it's before the filter and there's no oil making it's way through the filter I'd expect to see pressure and hear a knock.
Good point. But after a quick look and I can’t find the location of the pressure sensor. I’m about to swap out the new for the old filter this morning. Let’s see if that changes anything!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me add a little to this. I am WERKS Parts and have dealt with many owners of 2014 and up DL 1000.....that have had a knocking noise start immediately after the first oil change. Have not heard much about them starting after the second or third, but I assume it can happen. That is what caught my eye to start with, the description of a knock starting after an oil change. I figured I would see a typical Idle Hammer symptom. I used to sell a part to fix that. But this is NOT that as Idle Hammer does not, and cannot happen past idle rpm with no load. So this is more serious, or at least something different.

I have never heard of a clutch related problem anything close to what the OP describes.

I know coincidences can happen. Seems hard to not think it is an oil related problem. BUT...the OP says no lights on the dash so there IS oil pressure. Is it enough? Those idiot lights commonly go off as long as there is 5+ lbs of oil pressure.
Can this idle hammer be felt through the bars? When I first noticed the knock was about 1km after initial startup and when I was decelerating towards a speed bump. Thinking back, I had the clutch pulled and at idle when I first heard it. But later on in my garage I had the bike in neutral and slightly reving the motor when I could feel the knock in my hand as well as hear it. Anything more than a slight rev and the engine rumble drowns out any other sounds. I didn’t rev it past 2k because I was worried oil wasn’t reaching the top end. It’s most definitely oil related because it happened immediately after the change. I’m also using a new oil which I’ve not used in this bike prior. But it’s ridiculous, in my mind, to think the oil is at fault. I’m leaning towards faulty Fram or just a fake Fram bought from Amazon. I’ll post later with an update as I’m putting the old one back on the bike.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Yes, the cause is that there's a little play in the crank and a SMALL side thrust as the two pistons go up and down. That shoots the crank side to side and causes a knocking sound. It really only happens with the clutch pulled in at idle. It's really common to have people report this after the first oil change. Totally harmless but quite a knock.

Realshelby did have a 'fix' but it's a PITA to set up properly and he had so many complaints because people couldn't do it he gave up selling it.

It's not just your bike. I really don't have this problem because it's hot as hell here and I run a heavier than recommended oil because I'm never going to have cold starts to deal with. (Trying to avoid being kicked for starting an oil thread as well ;) - pm me if you really want to know)

So if the filter change doesn't fix this - my suggestion would be buy any heavy oil without friction modifiers (quite a few of the diesel engine oils qualify and go up to numbers like 20w60), do an oil change and check that the hammer has gone away. Once you've confirmed that's the cause just run what you brung in future. These engines aren't going to die suddenly pretty much no matter what oil you run - modulo don't run one with friction modifiers because that screws up the wet clutch.

If that was Castrol GTX car oil - you need to do an oil change ASAP because it does have friction modifiers and will make the clutch slip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE;
I’ve swapped back the dirty filter and the sound has disappeared. Not sure what to take from this experience other than don’t buy Fram filters from Amazon.
I stay in Kenya and all my spares need to be shipped in. I use a freight forwarder company in California so my “address” is American. Can anyone suggest a reliable online spares store located in the US for future purchases of general Vstrom spares?
Thanks everyone, love this forum. Smart guys on here.

·
5,590 Posts
Well, that is a surprise! I knew this was not Idle Hammer. I don't know that this was a counterfeit filter, I mean why make fakes of something that cost so little to start with? Obviously all facts do point to the filter. I just hope no damage was done to the engine. The noise could have been something in the filter( bypass valve) but I am just guessing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Maybe get somebody to forward some OEM Suzuki filters. Is there a Suzuki dealer in Kenya? I think that filter is used on Suzuki ATVs as well so should be able to get one.

kfh000

1 - 20 of 40 Posts