StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He guys,

I upgraded from a 650 to a 1000 and while I like the bike well enough, one thing I am finding almost unbearable is the ungodly amount of engine heat on my lower legs. It's ruining the experience. My 650 gave off a little heat as most bikes will. My GSXS- too but nothing like this.

I find myself moving my feet as far out on the pegs as possible to get some cooing. I've resorted to riding in jeans because with my mesh riding pants, the heat goes right to my skin and burns!

I've had 30 bikes over the years and never experienced engine heat like this. Anyone else? Is this the norm for these engines or is something amiss? I can't imagine the internal operating temperatures of the coolant and oil are much higher than the 650 or other bikes.

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I found the 650 to be a cool bike and the V2 to be hotter but my MT09 is over the top.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've not experienced this. In fact, the lack of excessive heat from the Strom was one of the things that I weighed in my decision when I was evaluating the Strom vs other bikes such as the Tiger and the Versys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ride a 1000 Kawasaki Concours if you want to feel engine heat. They even created a plastic piece to funnel air towards the rider's legs to help cool it off. Maybe you should make an air funnel.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I find my 2014 DL1k to be one of the coolest running bikes I've ever ridden.
I wear mesh pants with full length boots.. maybe that's why I don't feel the heat on my calves. But I feel no heat coming up into the seat area, like I used to on most other bikes I've had.
How hot is it, where you ride and how much of your riding involves very slow speeds?

·
Vendor
4,879 Posts
I feel the heat on while wearing short pants on short trips to the corner store, but it is far from excessive.

The early ST1300s directed air off the back of the radiator via full body cowling (no blending with cool air) directly to the leg. Some people developed heat blisters through blue jeans. Honda had to install rubber curtains after a few model years to redirect the air.

With much less body cowling, the air off the DL1000 radiator is blended more with cool air so it does not feel anywhere near as hot as the ST1300.

The easiest solution is to wear clothing that shields the heat from the skin. Works for asphalt too. But if it really bugs you, you can try what the early ST1300 owners did. Increase the amount of cool air inside the cowl that bypasses the radiator by installing a vent or removing pieces of the cowl around the radiator. Of course you will be experimenting and breaking new ground so be mindful of unintended consequences like diminished cooling capacity. If you are not fully loaded pulling a trailer I expect you will be fine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
He guys,

I upgraded from a 650 to a 1000 and while I like the bike well enough, one thing I am finding almost unbearable is the ungodly amount of engine heat on my lower legs. It's ruining the experience. My 650 gave off a little heat as most bikes will. My GSXS- too but nothing like this.

I find myself moving my feet as far out on the pegs as possible to get some cooing. I've resorted to riding in jeans because with my mesh riding pants, the heat goes right to my skin and burns!

I've had 30 bikes over the years and never experienced engine heat like this. Anyone else? Is this the norm for these engines or is something amiss? I can't imagine the internal operating temperatures of the coolant and oil are much higher than the 650 or other bikes.

Thanks

Ron

Be thankful you never had to ride a Triumph Sprint ST 1050. You want to talk about heat on the legs!!! My 1000 XT gives a little heat, but nothing worth mentioning. Perhaps after the Triumph my legs are now less sensitive to heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been moving my feet outward on my 1000 due to heat also, particularly with mesh pants.
Worse than the 650, but not unbearable. Lots of cooling wind everywhere else

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I find my 2014 DL1k to be one of the coolest running bikes I've ever ridden.
I wear mesh pants with full length boots.. maybe that's why I don't feel the heat on my calves.

Same deal with my '14 DL1K. Stuck for an hour on Highway 57 on the way back from Deals Gap last July, in traffic my ambient air temp gauge read 116F at times--the coolant temp gauge never made it past 3 bars and the fan never came on. Full length boots and mesh pants as well, it was.."purty durn hot", but survived thanks to liberal doses of SmartWater. But I was amazed at how composed the bike was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yip they get hot. Your not imagining it.Not sure unbearable but they get hot. I have an 18 XT. I just returned from Alaska and 15000 klms. I left with
So many things about this bike that was very happy to discover. Things I thought might be a problem ( such as running on regular Fuel as frankly super not available and range anxiety) never was a problem. I came from a 2013 FJR and thought would miss the power and shaft drive as well as cruise but didnt. This bike is torquey and when you punch it she goes. Lots of other pleasant surprises including how easy you can switch to mph on the fly and reset the clock and trip meter. And OMG a fuel gage that is pretty accurate!!! I had an 08 wee strom and luved it but so much happier with this bike and glad went for bigger engine

Anyhow last day of this trip hit temperatures in mid 30s C so switched to mesh from Klim gear. First thing noticed is heat on upper legs. Maybe not burning but definetly hot. Have had some 10 bikes over the last 30 years of riding and yes it is definetly the most heat. Not unbearable but did find myself riding rear pegs and highway pegs a little more with mesh on. Given all the many things I luv about it this issue I can live with

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yip they get hot. Your not imagining it.Not sure unbearable but they get hot. I have an 18 XT. I just returned from Alaska and 15000 klms. I left with
So many things about this bike that was very happy to discover. Things I thought might be a problem ( such as running on regular Fuel as frankly super not available and range anxiety) never was a problem. I came from a 2013 FJR and thought would miss the power and shaft drive as well as cruise but didnt. This bike is torquey and when you punch it she goes. Lots of other pleasant surprises including how easy you can switch to mph on the fly and reset the clock and trip meter. And OMG a fuel gage that is pretty accurate!!! I had an 08 wee strom and luved it but so much happier with this bike and glad went for bigger engine

Anyhow last day of this trip hit temperatures in mid 30s C so switched to mesh from Klim gear. First thing noticed is heat on upper legs. Maybe not burning but definetly hot. Have had some 10 bikes over the last 30 years of riding and yes it is definetly the most heat. Not unbearable but did find myself riding rear pegs and highway pegs a little more with mesh on. Given all the many things I luv about it this issue I can live with
Go figure! I went to 14 Vee from 2015 FJR and to me it felt like FJR was much MUCH hotter than Strom.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm wondering how warm the engine is running on the OP's bike. Mine (2018 XT) typically runs at the second bar on the temp gauge and I don't notice any heat. OP, if your bike is running appreciably hotter than that it might be worthwhile to check into that. Otherwise, it's a mystery!

Vinnie

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't have an issue with engine heat on my 2016 Vee. I was expecting it to get hot and bothered recently during some really slow going in heavy traffic but afaik the fan didn't even come on. The temperature guage sat at 3 bars and never moved off that. Other bikes in similar situations such as my former KTM 950SM and my former Triumph 1200 Explorer would have been getting really hot in the same conditions and that would have been felt to some degree on my legs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 16 1000SE and the last few days it has been in the mid 30s C. Cruising speeds have been anywhere from 50 to 110 kmph. I can feel a bit of heat on my legs at higher speeds but is no more than other bikes I have owned or ridden.

·
Registered
139 Posts
These bikes can't hold a second place to the early K bikes. The Germans called them toasters and flying bricks. The later K's weren't so bad, can't compare the newest 1600's.

·
Administrator
4,994 Posts
Ron lives in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas. I'm thinking that has a big influence on this opinion.

Look at the possibility of using a sheet of flexible plastic to somehow redirect the heat outwards, Ron. My Versys has the right idea - no heat issues at all so far, in Queensland.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Is it possible that the Euro-4 emissions spec of the '18 DL1000 has the engine running leaner,therefore generating more heat than the '14-'17 models?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is it possible that the Euro-4 emissions spec of the '18 DL1000 has the engine running leaner,therefore generating more heat than the '14-'17 models?
Mine is a US 2018... Edits at 2 bars and no noticeable heat on my legs.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,210 Posts
While some might not see heat from a 2018, I have no doubt the OP is wanting some relief. I have written that I get a LOT more heat onto my right shin area on the 2012 DL 650 than previous models. Enough that I had to do something. What I done on it was to put a patch of cloth over the outside lower area of my mesh gear. That helped enough to not be a problem. On my '14 RT if you leave your legs splayed out a bit you get hot air exiting the radiator on them. Just make yourself learn to keep them tucked in a bit. Little things like position of feet on the footpegs can make a lot of difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts