StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
just picked up a used Vee back in January. 2008 with 1600miles on it. nice bike and I'm enjoying getting to know it.

odd thing started happening a couple of weeks ago though. when approaching a stop light, I was downshifting as I was slowing, and the engine died on me. I thought that I hit the ignition switch at first, but no.

it's happened about three times total now, and the only thing I can really think of in common is that I may have been somewhat "aggressive" in my downshifting? not talking like keeping revs up past 4k or anything, but it's only ever cut off on me while downshifting. plenty of fuel, etc.

did a quick search but didn't see anything.
you guys seen anything like this before?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had that happen many times, but usually when I was low on fuel, or half a tank anyway.

My problem was low pressure fuel screen in the fuel tank.

Do you know where the bike was living and whether it could have picked up bad fuel?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Not sure what you mean by aggressive in downshifting, I don't think you can be too aggressive downshifting to cause the motor to stall. Not if your only downshifting one gear at a time. The back wheel may stall:jawdrop:. What is the idle speed during these occurrences? Below 1100 and you can start to have trouble, it's not like the old carburettors. Check for tight fitting between the throttle bodies and the motor or any other likely air leaks. How old (stable) is the fuel?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I can tell you for certain, (if it were a 2007 DL-650, or newer), that the symptom you describe is directly related to the clutch switch. On a 2007 DL-650 or newer model, if the switch is disconnected, or it is a loose connection, what you describe for a symptom is "spot on" for what will happen. I have had it happen to me.

I don't know if this is applicable to a DL-1000, but check underneath your clutch lever to make sure, that if there is an electrical connection there, that it is in sound condition.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Check the idle speed before anything else. 1100 is absolute minimum on a relatively new bike like yours. Doubtful that it's anything to do with your shifting habits.

If that doesn't help search here for Throttle Body Sync. It's an easy procedure and probably is something that should be done at this point. Will make the engine run better in many ways.

Hope your enjoy your Vee!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Once you've restarted it after coming to a stop, does it idle normally, at a reasonable rpm (like 1,100 as stated above)?

Or does it burble and sometimes drop quite a bit lower before bouncing back up? Could be indicative of some of the other running issues that Vees sometimes exhibit, if so.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
What is the idle speed during these occurrences? Below 1100 and you can start to have trouble...
It's an idle issue. Start around 1100 rpm (engine needs to be warm - 2 bars) and ride it. If it stalls again under the same conditions then bump the idle up a smidge (100 rpm or so) and repeat until the stalling doesn't repeat.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I could have sworn I replied to this thread last night, unless this is another "cutting out when stopping/downshifting thread".

Check your boots and your TBS.

I had the same problem this spring. The first time it happened, I figured I popped the clutch and stalled it, I even looked around to make sure no one saw me. The next time it happened, I got a little curious. Third time I realized I needed to do something.

It wasn't my idle, I tweaked it after the first (just in case).

Since this weekend when I fixed both problems, I've had basically a new bike. The thing really purrs now. No coughing or stalling now.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I would second the clutch safety switch issue.

I have an '07 and deactivated mine so as to make for clutchless starting. Turns out doing this retards the ignition by a few degrees leading to the symptoms you described.

I reconnected the switch and all works as it should now.

Edited to add, on a 2008 it would be impossible to adjust the idle unless you have the software; there is no idle screw like pre-2007 models.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Jumpering the clutch safety switch only bothers 2007 and later 650s.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks for all the info, fellas.
I've had a few tanks of fuel through it since I've had it.
oddly, it hasn't done it in a while. happened 3 times in one ride, one other time before that, and then vanished.

I'll keep an eye on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts