StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting back from a round trip ride to Baja, ridding "door to door" from Portland and back; the weather and ridding were absolutely awesome, however, I did have a reoccurring issue with the ABS that I need some help with.

Our trip consisted of over 400 miles of dirt, some extremely technical, a lot of it fast fire roads; knowing this going in I pulled the 15amp fuse to the ABS valve which helped with braking, but the issue that kept rearing it's head was that in rough terrain under power, the engine would cut out, usually in really choppy terrain, like it was trying to compensate for loss of power. At this point I pulled the 25amp ABS mot fuse, but the same issue arose, is this something that can be overcome or by passed? This would be a huge deal breaker for me with this bike, luckily it never stalled out in the deep sand as that would have been a real problem.

Any ideas on this?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Pulling the ABS fuse will have no effect on the engine. Something else was going on.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have had this happen when riding aggressively in rough terrain. In my case it was caused by the side stand bouncing down slightly which momentarily disengages the engine cutoff switch. There are threads here on how to bypass the switch. I just used a small bungee to secure the side stand until I was back on the paved road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Satch,
I thought that could have been the case, but there were times when the this occurs and I happened to have the instrument cluster in my vision and everything seemed operational(no check message or lights on) there were other times when the side stand was definitely the issue.

Is it possible that the side stand dropped down just enough to kill the engine without the lights coming on the panel?.

Greywolf,
I agree,I just was sure if there might have been another sensor that I wasn't aware of

·
38,103 Posts
I've changed the thread title to fit the problem.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Only way to disprove the ABS theory is to try rough terrain with the fuses in.

Maybe your rpm's were too low and your throttle hand was moving all over the place.

I swear by the ABS on gravel roads, it's awesome. I almost need it now on all my bikes.

·
38,103 Posts
The entire ABS system is electrically separate. It even has its own fuses separate from the bike fuse box. That goes back to when 650s in some years had ABS as an option.

·
Vendor
5,361 Posts
This has come up before and as soon as I saw this subject I came to the same conclusion as Satch.

Has your side stand been modified or augmented? Do you have a steel or other heavy addition at the end of your side stand? If so, try removing it and test again.

If not, it's a bit of work, but you can remove the switch. I'm not sure if it is normally open or normally closed, but either can be addressed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The side stand switch is a common issue on dirt bikes, like the DRZ400E which I also have (which looks to have the same side stand switch but mounted in a different location).

I fixed it by using 3 zip ties (cable ties). One long one around the side stand switch to hold the plunger in, then smaller ones top and bottom to hold the big zip tie in place.

The advantage of this method is it is quick and reversible. Over here the side stand switch has to be operational to keep the bike legal for road use, mainly only an issue when you go to sell it. I've had my DRZ400 sidestand zip tied for 6years and the zip ties haven't failed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts