StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 DL1000. It has done 60000km (37500miles). I purchased it used in 2007 from the dealer who sold it new (it was traded in on a cruiser because the original owners wife was very short and had trouble getting on and off the bike). I have since enjoyed 45000km trouble free riding and have and have done the Ohlins / Race Tech suspension upgrade. The dealer who I bought it from ensured me that they had done all the servicing on it and since then I have had it dealer serviced every 6000km by the book. On 6 occasions I have changed the oil and filter myself half way thru' the 6k service interval. Originally my dealer put ELF 4 10w40 semi synthetic but i found gear shifting a bit rough (My previous bike was a BMW R1100G/S so i know what REALLY rough is) so on the mechanics recommendation I changed to Spectro Golden 10w40 semi synth and have stayed with that since. Just prior to last weeks 60000km service I noticed that the oil in the window was at the bottom mark (the bike was cold, had been sitting for a few days) so I got a compression test done - 135psi front, 125psi rear. Normal is 142-199. What could could be the cause of this? The bike is seldom used for commuting and most weekends gets a hot run of at least 100km. The mechanic says just ride it and all engines are a bit different but said it was wise to establish a base line at this stage.
thanks for your help.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You didn't say how often you have had your valve adjustment checked. If your valves are on the tight side I don't think your compression readings would be as high as they would be if they were set to specs. How much oil did you add to bring the level up to the top line? 1/2 quart in 3500 mi isn't a lot of usage. Too many questions and not enough information to give accurate answers. If it were me, I would make sure my valves were adjusted to specs, and change my oil change interval to every 3000 mi and ride it until other engine issues arise. Just be sure to check your oil level every thousand or so and measure what you have to put in for your records. You may ride it another 50,000 miles with no other issues except adding a little oil every now and then. I personally change mine every 2000 miles, but I don't use synthetic and I suffer from ocd.:green_lol:

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Yes make sure you really have the valves done and the cam timing double checked.

Then there is the classic making sure that the Both throttle plates are wide open.

Then the classic squirt of oil to check if its rings or valves

In the end just make sure valves are happy and ride the beotch. If she is really failing then you should also see a drop in mileage as the bike gets tired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts