StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, tell me what can clatter in the front cylinder, maybe someone has come across such a clatter. When disassembling, the chain seems to be normal, the total mileage of the motorcycle is 42000km.

I would appreciate any ideas to test.

ALSO, please write site or maybe internet market when i can buy some parts for v strom 650xt 2018

неизвестный цокот

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the current moment, I am suspicious of the timing chain, but when the cover was removed, the VRLD tension was normal. Another strange thing, when I was driving with number 2 during acceleration, it was felt that the motorcycle, as it were, jerkily responds to the gas handle from about 90 + km / h of speed. The oil was filled with motul 7100. By the way, when I bought a motorcycle there was no sound, then I serviced it, changed the oil in the engine, changed the oil in the front and rear suspension, changed the friction discs. after driving about 500 km, and this clatter appeared. Over time, the clatter seemed to get a little stronger. clatter is not cyclic, more random rather

· Registered
1,672 Posts
You write that you suspect the clatter coming from the motor. There are two cam chains. I would check the other cylinder for a loose cam chain, or loose tensioner assembly and make sure both tensioners were released, and not retracted.
Click on image to expand.
Font Auto part Circle Tool Diagram

· Registered
2020 Vstrom 650 XT
10 Posts
It is normal. Clatter comes from cam chain.Reason is cam chain tensioner. It has notches on plastic part that provide tension on chain and spring which push that part. You hear clatter when tensioner is between two notches,when notch lock in plase clatter stops. Sorry for my bad english.

· Registered
1,460 Posts
It is hard to to determine what sounds are made from far away and a description. It is known that the 650 engine makes a clatter coming from the left side, mostly in the higher gears. Mine clatters worse until it warms up completely and more when throttle applied below 3500 RPM. It is happy above 4000.

· Premium Member
4,189 Posts
"By the way, when I bought a motorcycle there was no sound, then I serviced it, changed the oil in the engine, changed the oil in the front and rear suspension, changed the friction discs. after driving about 500 km, and this clatter appeared."

If it's clattering after you changed a bunch of things, you need to go back over everything you did.

Friction disc's? ....front forks?

What weight Motul?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is normal. Clatter comes from cam chain.Reason is cam chain tensioner. It has notches on plastic part that provide tension on chain and spring which push that part. You hear clatter when tensioner is between two notches,when notch lock in plase clatter stops. Sorry for my bad english.
Hi, are u sure?

This noise, as in the video, it was very quiet at first, then it began to intensify, after 2000 km it became like in the video, physically, it seems that I should check the tension of the chains, it is possible to check the chain itself again (but when I checked, as if everything was fine with it it was, I looked at the manual number of links between the camshafts)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"By the way, when I bought a motorcycle there was no sound, then I serviced it, changed the oil in the engine, changed the oil in the front and rear suspension, changed the friction discs. after driving about 500 km, and this clatter appeared."

If it's clattering after you changed a bunch of things, you need to go back over everything you did.

Friction disc's? ....front forks?

What weight Motul?
Yes, I also checked these points according to the manual, all the tolerances, everything is like in the factory

The most important thing is that 2 more independent masters checked the same thing, their opinions were divided, one says that most likely there is wear on the dampers, and most likely the chain clatters about him like that, the other master is critical, says that it is unlikely a chain, it doesn’t look very similar, because the clatter is not periodic, but roughly speaking random, it is mostly heard at idle (although while driving I tried to go without a helmet and listen, there seems to be a clatter at low speeds too)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I checked the chain tensioner in the front cylinder, I tried to twist it in order to tighten it, and there was only 1 click, that is, the tensioner is now in the maximum position, I want to test the theory and try to re-tension the chain

The next step is most likely to replace the timing chains in order to cut off the theory that the sound comes from them, of course, I will change all this in conjunction with tensioners and dampers.

When I removed the cover from the head of the front cylinder, I was very much embarrassed by the damper, which is longitudinal, it differed in the shape of the tip from what I saw in the manual, maybe someone has a thread in the analysis of the engine (well, or a video), it's unlikely, but I want to compare

· Registered
5,530 Posts
If one of the automatic adjusters has failed you get clattering sounds, not loud but you can hear it, they'll run for some time like that, then you get 'ting ting ting' sounds caused by the cam chain slapping on metal. Must change then.

I've had that happen, it MAY be reduced by using heavier oil but basically if that doesn't work, change the cam chains, guides and adjusters. From memory it wasn't stupid expensive even having a dealer do it. Only one side was bad when it happened to me, the other had maybe 25% of maximum stretch. Point is it's labor that costs most on that one and if you are in there you may as well do both sets.

That said, if you did the clutch friction disks, open it up and make sure all the bolts are tight because that'll clatter as well and it's much simpler to check.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts