StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at a traffic light in town on the way home last night...almight kaboom and really weird engine noise. I looked at the two bikes near me thinking it was them....nope. :oops: Really rough idle. I started heading back into town to the dealer and the engine came right. Headed back out.

Stopped past Costco (rootbeer, oreos) and then it happened again. Kaboom, really rough then no idle, successive back-firing at low revs (even at 70mph and around corners which was really disturbing). Limped home, and left her behind this morning (just as well as it's 0 deg Celcius at 7am in Aberdeenshire).

Hmmm. Will keep you posted. Haven't encountered this on any of the various V-Strom forums (just under 10,000 mi on the clock).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Story so far...

Called the Dealer, they are picking the bike up later today. Service Dept. is unsure what it could be and don't have anything on V-Stroms problems.

Hopefully it's just a slipped timing belt/chain?! Rain/low temps scheduled for this w/end so won't be missing out anyhow.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely. The Mechanic that arrived to take it away in a big van thinks it may have blown something off the carb. Considerable air/engine noise. Nothing sadder than pushing a V-Strom into a van. In lieu of cards/flowers, say a quick prayer for us over a pint at your local.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE

That sucks, I hope it's something minor. Keep us informed.

-cos

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stromless in Seattle

Still Strom-less, Day 4 . Called to the dealer yesterday morning, they didn't have any info. Service Dept didn't call back Friday afternoon (they thought they might get to it mid-morning).

Coaching ice hockey all weekend anyhow in Aberdeen and Dundee (we lost yesterday 4-0) so I wouldn't have been riding (3 deg C, cold rain and sleet yesterday!). I've been checking up on chain cleaning and add-ons posts, so I have a few ideas of how to pass the time when I get 'er back. Hopefully will have news sometime on Monday...

·
Registered
213 Posts
engine

It might have blown a throttle body off. I had one of mine come once and the bike ran really bad. It shouldn't take them too long to fix it if that is what it is. Before mine came off the bike was running great.
Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stomless in Seattle

Thanks for the tip & sympathy Rider 1951. Spoke to the dealer service group this morning. The first back-firing blew the injector bank out of the inlet track. It's not common but has happened before with big v-twins, due to significant backpressures :shock: .

Bike sorted, they are testing it through and around Aberdeen. Will soon no longer be Stromless in Seattle, but Stromming in Scotland.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's always tomorrow...

Shop called, it was the same problem experienced by Rider 1951. They say the bike is now fine and it shouldn't happen again. If so, they'll need to replace the rubbers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
engine

That is good to hear. Mine only did it once and that was a year ago. It has run fine ever since, it now has over 18,000 miles on it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re-Strom

Picked up the bike at the local Suzuki-Ducati-Triumph dealer (Shirlaws Aberdeen) late this morning, sorted. No charge :D

Bike runs great (again). Now looking for very windy ride home. Bought Fuchs (careful typing now) Silkolene Chain Lube...highly recommended by dealer. Will give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
GB 121

Glad they took care of you! Was there ever an issue of whether the warranty would/would not cover it?

I've used PJ1 lube (blue can) and it's worked very well (18000 miles out of my stock SV chain). I'm trying Chain Wax, next. Let us know how the lube works for you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Warranty issue never arose, dealer didn't mention it and seemed surprised that I asked if there was an invoice.

Extreme winds today, didn't get out. Lube'd the bike in the garage though, seems ok.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts