StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of speculation goes on about what happens to an engine (and specifically our Suzuki small engines) during break-in.

At the first oil change on my new '21 Wee (603 miles), I collected a sample and sent it to Blackstone Labs for analysis just for fun. Here are the results with notes from Blackstone:

"Thanks for the notes. You were curious what break-in oil would look like for your DL650, and here
it is! Copper is high next to universal averages (based on ~1,700 miles of oil use). That's just from new
parts shedding extra metal as they wear into operating clearances, so we're not worried about it. Silicon is
from harmless lubes and sealers used during assembly. Both copper and silicon should look more like
universal averages after a few oil changes, when wear-in stuff washes out. All in all, nice report."

Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Number

So there you go. Nothing dramatic.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Excellent. What oil do we think Suzuki put in the new engines when delivered? I like seeing all that zinc and phosphorus for break-in. Best, DD

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided I should add that I broke in this bike by the book, within Suzuki's specified limits. However, within those limits, I did not baby it. I worked it briskly, but not what I'd call aggressively, on twisty backroads, including some mountain grades, for lots of positive and negative pressure, for both phase one and phase two. It took me a pair of day trips, in all, to complete.

If anyone else cares to contribute breakin oil testing here, please make a note of your procedure - that might be interesting. Or it might not, which is still useful information!

·
Registered
2019 DL650AL9
166 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but how are you liking your new 650? How would you compare/contrast with your ‘08?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Excellent. What oil do we think Suzuki put in the new engines when delivered? I like seeing all that zinc and phosphorus for break-in. Best, DD
Agree! And a lot of calcium which is good because there is time lag from when the bike was manufactured until when it was sold. Will neutralize any sulfuric acids that form in the oil (from condensation after test drives). So the factory oil looks like a winner! My guess would be that Suzuki uses one of the Asian oil companies for the oil like Idemitsu and that it is a mineral based 10W40.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been meaning to follow up here to note that I'm pretty sure all the people who think these engines feel different after breakin are respectfully, full of it. :D Its character has not changed since day 1. BUT - one thing did change, and that is shifting smoothness. Shifting got undeniably smoother, with less "catching", after the first few hundred miles. And since I spent 13 years on an '08, I'm reasonably confident that I know this type of bike well enough that it was not just me getting used to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts