StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just sold my 650 and hope to get a new V-Strom 1000 pretty quick. I messed my back up yesterday and can barely walk, let alone ride a bike so I have to wait a week or ten days.

The only concern I MAY have with the 1000 is the often mentioned engine braking. Is it really much stronger than most other bikes on the road?n My 650 is the only recent Suzuki I have owned but I have ridden an Aftrica Twin and R1200GS in recent years of anyone who has ridden a V-Strom 1000 can compare engine braking to either of those bikes.

This is probably an OCD moment because something like engine braking, at least for me, is something I just get used to. If it is stronger I'll get used to it and probably miss it when I ride a bike with less and vice versa.

NC

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been a 1000 owner for a whole day, and have just crossed over 130 miles (two unremarkable facts): The engine braking on my 18 is surprisingly low, less than on my dad's 2017 Africa Twin, and substantially less than my 2017 Versys 650. I don't have any experience with a bimmer, unfortunately.

I know engine character changes over time, but this thing is a train!

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts
The engine braking is "much less" than the Concours 1400 I used to have.....not even close. I believe many feel the engine braking is a lot who come from the 650's, it's not a lot but yes it is noticeable "and that's a good thing". The 1000 has a slipper clutch, you don't have to worry about rear wheel hop.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The engine braking is "much less" than the Concours 1400 I used to have.....not even close. I believe many feel the engine braking is a lot who come from the 650's, it's not a lot but yes it is noticeable "and that's a good thing". The 1000 has a slipper clutch, you don't have to worry about rear wheel hop.

Yes, the “slipper” clutch is an awesome addition to an already awesome bike. Did I mention how much I love my ‘18 XT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,264 Posts
BMW 1200's have more engine braking than the DL 1000...........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Compared to my SV1K, the engine braking of the L8 DL is much milder. With the slipper clutch its an absolute joy.

Now - how do I retrofit this slipper to my SV? - would love to lose the BTL.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,264 Posts
Now - how do I retrofit this slipper to my SV? - would love to lose the BTL.

Contact schmidt314 over on the SVRiders or SVportal site. He has been setting up the 2014-2017 DL 1000 inner clutch assembly on some SV's. Much better than the BTL and tunable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts