StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Givi, SW-Motech, Hepco-Becker, Suzuki OEM, Happy Trail, Alt Rider,Adventure MotoStuff, Touratech, etc.

What brand engine guard and skid guard combination do you recommend and why? Tried any others for comparison? Do you think any of the available ones offer better protection or employ a superior design (such as mounting location)? Better welds or just better quality?

What price did you pay and where?

My apologies if I missed another thread that has already been started that covers this subject. If it exists, I couldn't find it with the Search tab. There is some information about this topic scattered across several threads, but I couldn't find a dedicated one just on this subject.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I can tell you what I don't recommend: the SW Motech skidplate. I popped all the rivets on the bottom of this skidplate within the first month of installing it, and I did not bottom out that hard. This has happened to other people on this site also.

I guess I should mention that I also have the SW Motech crash bars, and have no problem with these. They are well constructed. Only the skidplate is a POS.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Don't get OEM crashbars, unless you like vibration. I had SW-Motech on my K7 and no vibration issues there. They protected the bike well, on two separate occasions, and seemed to be very sturdy, and well made. The reason I bought the OEM on the L2, I thought they looked cool, I liked the color, finish, etc.., matches the handlebars, oh and my dealer knocked off 20% when I bought the bike so I went ahead and ordered them. But as soon as I put them on and took it for a ride, I started experiencing vibration in the 4600-4900 rpm range, also some around 6000-6300. I look here and lo and behold there is already a thread on this very issue, so It's not just me. One other thing i didn't think of, is how to duplicate that nice finish after it takes a spill. On my old SW-Motech, I just sanded a little and got out the old rattle can of black paint, and all was good again. Good for you for doing some research first. I am not going to remove the OEM's, I am still tinkering and I have reduced the vibrations, and they do still look better (IMO), but if I had it to do over again I would get the SW-Motechs

·
Registered
278 Posts
Altrider crash bars and one of Yann's aluminum skidplates would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Not to mention a pain in the arse to install

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the recommendations!

I appreciate all your perspectives and opinions, especially when you qualify your recommendation. As in, I like this BRAND because.... That's very helpful.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engine Guard decided upon- still deciding on skid guard

Seems like the SW-Motech engine guards have a good reputation. Plus they can be had for under $200. So, that decision is made.

The skid guard issue is still open. Seems strange that many of these go for as much as an engine guard (in the $250 range). I'll keep looking. Bet there is a small shop doing them for less that just doesn't have the name recognition yet.

That Touratech and Alt Rider stuff sure is pricey. Don't think I need to pay more for stainless steel and a name. Reminds me of the tactics used by BMW to sell their overpriced creations.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The touratech plate is almost $50 cheaper ($215) than the SWMOTECH ($259) give or take $10 on each. Not sure about the fitment of the touratech but I do know the swmotech is a pain to get installed. Took me a little over 2.5 hours. I had to bend/beat the front left bracket so I could get a few bolts to line up. Im actually scared to take it off or take it to the shop when I have to get the 4k service done. Im afraid I wont get it back on haha. Looks fantastic once its on the Wee though!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just installed Yann's aluminum skidplate on my 2012 Adventure model, and I am extremely impressed with the quality of the workmanship. The plate was well-packed and shipped quickly. Yann promptly responded to all of my questions prior to purchasing.

It's nice to see such a great product made by a small shop in the USA.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Added Yann's skidplate to my 650 ADV's stock engine guards, with no vibrations.

Also put one of his plates on my '07 1000 with Givi's. Good stuff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
count me in

I just installed Yann's aluminum skidplate on my 2012 Adventure model, and I am extremely impressed with the quality of the workmanship. The plate was well-packed and shipped quickly. Yann promptly responded to all of my questions prior to purchasing.

It's nice to see such a great product made by a small shop in the USA.:thumbup:
After talking extensively with Yann last night and reading all he had to say about his products, it seems like a no brainer. Made in the US, STRONG, guaranteed, highly regarded, good looking, small business and great product support. Plus, cheaper than the rest.

I'll be getting his skid guard and radiator guard and a Givi engine guard. Thanks to the fellows who turned me on to Yann!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here are some crappy pics I snapped on my Blackberry before I left for work this morning. Sorry about the low quality!

You may notice that I bolted on a set of highway pegs from CherDan to Yann's skid plate.

I have to say that Yann's skid plate is a lot higher quality than CherDan's highway pegs, but I had already purchased the highway pegs, so I figure I would use them.

The main difference in quality is in the paint; CherDan's pegs seemed to be spray painted black. The paint comes off rather easily around the hardware bolted on to the highway bar. Yann's skid plate is powder coated. The paint job is excellent and appears very durable!

Jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts