Strom Trooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has had problems with EnduroGuardian products.

Bought my 07 DL650 in April, and late in that month or in May, I bought the EG skid plate. Looked to be in great shape, no cracks anywhere. Mounted it to bike. Decided I also wanted the EG highway pegs, so I bought those a few weeks later.

Followed the install process from EnduroGuardian to try to remove as much vibration as I could from the highway pegs. I could still feel some, just as his video states...but it was definitely manageable.

Went on 4,000 mile trip in June. This morning, while changing oil, I give the skid plate a good looking over, and three areas of the metal bends are failing and giving out. I truly believe that the highway peg vibrations or lower quality welding caused these problems...but with it being right at the bended areas, I'm wondering if somehow this was poorer quality steel that was used?

The worst area is where the highway peg mounts are nearby located, which makes me believe the vibration from those affected the skid plate bends somehow.

The funny thing is I have yet to take this bike off-road. All miles with the EG products have been done on asphalt, hard pack dirt, or light gravel in the neighborhood. The skid plate shows nothing but clumps of dirt on it...it has not taken any hits or anything. I've got around $350 tied up in these products...I'd hoped they would last more than three months.

So...I really liked the EG products when I received them. But, has anybody else had problems with poor quality welds or the fact that the skid plate falls apart so quickly?

I'll post three pics. Heck, to my untrained eye, it looks like somebody took a sledge hammer to those areas. I mean, it just looks like the metal fatigued badly at many of the bends.

I sent Yann an email with the pics, hoping he will swap it out or fix the problem if this gets sent back to him. I'll keep everybody updated.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just heard back from Yann at EnduroGuardian. He quickly acknowledged that some of his original design skid plates had manufacturing problems from too extreme of grinding, and is sending me an entire new kit that has been redesigned to prevent this from happening!

I understand things happen. He said all his products get a lifetime warranty, with absolutely no charge to the customer. He's taking care of everything, I should get it pretty soon.

If anybody checks theirs and notices cracking, just send Yann an email and he'll take care of you.

Holy cow! Talk about speed of customer service....on a SUNDAY!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have never heard of that company, but from the sounds of it, that's where I'm gonna go when I'm ready for a skid and radiator guard!

Not to hijack, but how "tight" to the engine does their skid mount. I'm a a canyon carver and wear my tires to the edges, Some of the skids for the bikes look bulky. Any concern of the skids dragging during cornering?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cornering

Yes you can make contact between the plate and pavement during hard cornering. However it has only happened a couple of times in about 4 years. Once I hit a pothole mid turn and bottomed it fairly hard (admittedly riding too fast), I think the other times it happened were under similar circumstances. By that I mean in a turn hard over and hit a bump or a something like going too fast and turning right 90 degrees off a flat level road to an uphill. Honestly I don't worry about it much, usually pegs, luggage, or my kickstand plate will contact before the skid plate. So those are usually signs that I should ease off a bit anyway.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You beat me to it.

I'm a welder by trade and was going to say those weren't bends but weld areas where too much of the weld was removed. They probably fixed the problem by beveling the edges of the joint and adding a deeper root weld before grinding.

·
Registered
561 Posts
EnduroGuardian and AdventureTech = Fantastic ownership experience.

I had to go look at my skid plate, but it is welded very nicely.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to update this. Received the replacement skid plate from Yann yesterday. The new ones definitely look much better.

Thanks Yann for the updated replacement. The man sticks by his word on the warranty on these and wouldn't accept any money. I know where the next Wee's plate is coming from!

·
Super Moderator
16,726 Posts
Love a happy ending, and love quality American craftsmanship too!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's what counts.....customer obsession. Yann listened, fixed it and improved the design. That's why I'm looking at his plate now as well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to update this. Received the replacement skid plate from Yann yesterday. The new ones definitely look much better.

Thanks Yann for the updated replacement. The man sticks by his word on the warranty on these and wouldn't accept any money. I know where the next Wee's plate is coming from!
Wanted to come back to this thread to give Yann more kudos. The skid plate he had sent as a replacement back in mid-2014 lasted over 40,000 miles of on-road and off-road riding...and was still going strong when the bike sold a month ago. That skid plate saved me going down an unmarked hill (long story) with baby head sized rocks and chair size boulders I bounced off all the way down. When the bike sold...that skid plate was in very good shape..albeit with some tell-tale markings on the bottom that would just open up stories about where that bike has been. The welds still looked like new...with just a lot of dirt on them. That skid plate took a lot of hits...and begged for more.

Loved it so much...bought another one a couple of weeks ago for my Gen2 DL650.

If ever in doubt whether you should buy one of these...do it. I had a steel one before...got the aluminum this time around....a lot lighter in weight...but just as strong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alas, Enduro Guardian is no more, I emailed Yann about getting a skid plate for my 2016 650 and I received this reply today:

Sorry, I’m liquidating my stock and closing business. I don’t have any more of the older design.

Yann

His website is still up - probably until everything is gone. AltRider no longer making plates for the 650 and now EnduroGurdian...

Anyone have a used AltRider plate to sell or can suggest one that works with the AltRider crash bars?

-Martin

·
Registered
9 Posts
NOOOO!!!!!

Man... Ive got a '12 DL650 and I had my eye on the Enduro Guardian plate since I bought it. Just never pulled the trigger. Anyone out there making bash plates of similar quality?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts