StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have one as an alternative for my full face. Used for kicking around off-road (F650GS) and occasional high speed runs (90+, Tiger 1050).

Mine caught wind on the Tiger, but then the bike's screen wasn't adjustable. Haven't tried it yet with the new -Stromus- but I suspect it won't be as intense or even an issue after I have the screen dialed in a little better.

Either way, it certainly helped to block some sun.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Last Sept. I took a 7000+ mile ride on my Connie and used a Shoei Hornet and loved it. The flip visor was icing on the cake.

·
Registered
832 Posts
(W)hile traveling, I can see the visor being good for blocking the sun, etc. Any experience with this style over a standard modular or full face ? How about occasional runs down the freeway at 80 MPH, will that visor catch the wind like a sail ?
The visor will serve to block the sun. The effectiveness of the visor is determined by the angle of the sun in the sky, and the length of the visor. The length of the visor on the AFX FX-39 appears to be pretty modest, and quite similar to visor on the Shoei Hornet (my current lid). A longer visor, such as what is evident on the Arai XD3, would be more effective. I'm keeping my Hornet because I know I have a "Shoei head".

If you purchase the AFX helmet, I'd consider a pair of sunglasses as a necessary supplement when riding on sunny days.

I do find that the visor on my Hornet will catch a bit of wind when I do head checks at highway speeds. I'm used to it now, but it did take a bit of adjustment after wearing "slippery" FF helmets for years.

The great advantage of the new generation of DS helmets is the presence of an optically correct and removable face shield, for those times when you want to wear goggles.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it, I'll probably order one and give it a try, even if it just turns into an around town helmet, the hi viz orange may help cars from turning in front of me, anything helps..

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had the 37 and now have the 39. A much nicer helmet all the way around. It doesn't pull much (and that's while riding my DR with no shield) and I just tilt my head down a little. Not a problem. My full face - non visor - is a Shoei and the AFX 39 fits fine.

I just got back from 100 miles of back road with speeds above 80 and no neck strain at all. Good helmet for the money.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I bought the fx39 last year when it came out. I have used it for about 4K miles in all conditions. I even used it with no windshield for six hours at highway speed with no issues.

The only time I have issues is in strong cross winds. If it gets too bad you can easily remove the beak.

In this pic you can see the gap for good airflow.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I like my HJC IS-16 for my ride to work. I work night-shift and in the evening the sun sets are right in my eyes! I flip down the inner shield (tinted) and no problem. In the morning or late at night I have to have a clear shield and this type of helmet solves all my problems. Newenough.com has some good prices on helmets also. Cheers--BB

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
I know nothing about these "Enduro" helmets.......but I "think" I read somewhere (?) that the "beek" portion should NOT be hard attached to the helmet (i.e. it should be attached using break-away rivets or bolts??) in case of a spill.........the beek could actually act like a "Lever" when impacting the ground, snapping your head backwards.......?????

Like I said, I don't own one, and don't know anything about them......just throwing that thought out there to be shot down, or discussed?? :confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got the FX-39. It's a solid helmet, nice and comfy. It's a hoss, much bigger than my HJC FS-15, but still pretty light. You can tell the beak is there at speed, it does pull a bit, but it's manageable. My only gripe thus far is my sunglasses don't sit right with this helmet on. Probably just need to compress the pads a bit more, nothing major.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got one like the pic and I really like it. Try one on first and as long as it fits your melon snugly with no pressure points, get it, I doubt you will be disappointed.

The quality is maybe not quite like the Shoei Hornet I had or the Shoei RF1100 I have now, but it is wayyyy better than I expected from a $125 helmet.

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
I know nothing about these "Enduro" helmets.......but I "think" I read somewhere (?) that the "beek" portion should NOT be hard attached to the helmet (i.e. it should be attached using break-away rivets or bolts??) in case of a spill.........the beek could actually act like a "Lever" when impacting the ground, snapping your head backwards.......?????
The visors on the DS helmets that I've seen in person are, to a model, attached with plastic screws. More to the point, the visors are themselves lightly constructed of plastic. They would seem to break off easily enough so that the rider's head is not levered during an impact.

The plastic screws on the Shoei Hornet (used to secure the visor and the face shield) are in fact so fragile that I've had to keep a few sets on hand for those times when I disassemble the helmet for cleaning. The screw heads snap off very easily. "This is an engineered-in feature" was Shoei's reply, when I sent them an e-mail on the subject.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the Arai but it didn't fit my head as too tight on the sides as made for a narrow oval head. Got a "Supervisor Visor" which attaches to the face shield. It doesn't stick out as far as the beaks on the other helmets but does the job. It also protects the faceshield from scratches too! No financial interest in the company but I have been using their product for years. You can find them on the internet and in a lot of bike magazines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts