StromTrooper banner

ending buffeting

18K views 115 replies 35 participants last post by  mokusbajusz 
#1 · (Edited)
Having tried the stock shield in all positions, i found the lowest position to induce less buffeting. I had gotten the idea from monkeygrass to cut the stock shield down so as to let clean wind hit you without the buffeting, but did'nt really want to cut mine so...I found another possible answer.
By lowering the factory shield so that the mounting pegs were holding the screen through the third set of holes(from the bottom up), and redrilling the four holes for the mounting screws, i was able to lower the stock screen down about two more inch's. I then had to redrill the two holes for the two mounting bolt covers little stabilizer pegs. By drilling these 6 holes i was able to retain all factory mounts, shield and screws. It brings out more of a sportbike look and lets the wind hit your upper body without much turbulence.
I tried the new height setting at all legal highway speeds and it seems like a good summertime solution. One drawback is that the screen can't go back to the factory height without the newly drilled hole on top showing. As i use a givi in the winter it won't be an issue. J.R.

06' 650

#3 ·
Yes, photos would be nice. Sounds promising.

I'm going to add an experiment of my own to the buffet-issue's body of knowledge...

I noticed the dreaded effect above 60 mph, with the screen in the lowest position. But many wise folks on this forum have suggested that the problem may be more related to helmet type than we realize. So since I have a brand new and more aerodynamic HJC SP-CL helmet on the way, I'll post back here and report on how much of a difference it makes over my current seven year old KBC helmet's design.

The HJC SP-CL is quite aerodynamic looking, and also has a spoiler on the rear, which HJC claims helps reduce turbulence around the helmet. We shall see if it lives up to the hype, or not...

#4 · (Edited)
Sorry i have not yet figured out the digital camera so until my wife takes the shots i can't do the pics. Pitiful excuse but true. I'll work on that.
If you take your 2 bolt covers off your factory shield and then remove the 4 factory bolts that hold the screen on, you can then hang the screen on the 2 pegs at the position you want. At this point you can see what it will look like before you start drilling. Only takes a minute with a phillips head screwdriver .If you go ahead with it, use the holes as a templet and drill a pilot hole with a tiny bit in the dead center of the mounting holes(4)
Then take the shield off the bike to drill the full sized holes.
Yes Newfoundlander i agree with you about the helmet effect, i found my new scorpion helmet is WAY better on the interstate than my fulmer. It made a big difference. goodluck J.R

#8 ·
When the madstad came out I already had an mp cycle designs screen so i never used the bracket with stock. But from what I hear the bracket makes a VAST improvement regardless. For 60 bucks or whatever it costs now it's a no-brainer.

#9 ·
I have a madstad on order, but the price of the new version is $80. I hope it works. After my ride yesterday, I think that most if the turbulance is being generated by the mirrors. :???:

#10 ·
Madstad + a Cee Bailey 23" screen is great for me. Put the stock shield on it and it is OK but still a little bit of head slap.(6ft/33"inseam). The only experience I had with stock mounts was on test ride and that was brutal, do not remember what setting they had it set at.

#11 ·
I was suspicious of those mirrors myself. Someone should pull them and see what happens. I have the madstad, just got it recently, and yes that's how Suzuki should've done it from the factory. They had the right idea with the windscreen, but the Madstad is the proper implementation.

#12 · (Edited)
I think the madstad is a great idea and would try it but i'm a little to wrapped up in the "beauty" of my strom and the bracket seems to make the shield stick out to far at the bottom. Looks kinda funny to me so i'm tryin to come up with other alternatives. This ones not perfect but does make the ride more enjoyable than the stock screen at its normal height. J.R
* And looks good. Give me 2 days and i'll get the camera figured out

#16 ·
Yes, I'm not thrilled with the stockers, some guys on the FZ1 club used Rizoma mirrors and reported a decrease in turbulence.

#18 ·
Sorry but my pictures are to many mb to post on here. My pics are 150 mb and the system only allows 97mb. There is a picture of my bike with the low shield on my profile but its hard to see. I don't know how to reduce the mbs of my pictures but i'll figure it out...J.R

#21 ·
I'll vote for complete screen removal as best bufreting fix, as well as removing the handguards. Next step I plan is taking the whole front fairing off and putting on streetfighter Speed Triple headlights so my head's only in clean air. My wife's naked SV650 is dead silent at 85mph and I always had a roar or turbulence from the short screens on my DL1k, Triumph Tiger, and FJ1100.

#23 ·
I've noticed that as well. Last week I stood on the pegs going about 50 & my helmet got very quiet. Sat down again & heard the loud roar. The noise was there with the stock screen & with my MP Cycles 11.5" shorty screen. The shorty eliminated the buffeting but the noise is still there. Next step; going to cut one of my screens down to the top of the mounting brackets. Might direct airflow below my helmet, not at it. I plan on a test ride without mirrors also. If they're adding to the noise I'll look at lower, smaller ones like the KTM or Emgos.

#26 ·
Newfoundlander,
Where did you get that windscreen? And does it work on cutting the buffeting? I have bought the Madstad bracket and 2 MP screens. 14" shorty and a 19" touring. NOTHING works. When I get on the freeway and hit 70-75 indicated the bike becomes unstable. I took off the screen all togther and no more bufetting up to 85 indicated. I was thinking of cutting my stock to about the height that you have. But that screen looks great. Any info would help.
Thanks.

#27 ·
Where did you get that windscreen? And does it work on cutting the buffeting?
Works very well for curing the buffeting issue. I've had my bike up to 185 kms/hr, now. Very smooth and turbulent-free air around my head, which was what I was seeking.

I acquired my sport screen through these guys in the UK...

John Pease Motorcycles
Braintree

37-43 Railway Street
Braintree
Essex CM7 3JD

Tel: 01376 321819
Fax: 01376 329679
Email: sales@bikes.jpease.co.uk

It's a Europe-only Suzuki OEM accessory. Here's the deets...

Windshield - smoke tint
Part # 990D0-27G50-SMO
V-Strom 650/1000 (K6/K7)

#28 ·
I have a tall screen, wear an Arai XD and am 6'7". I don't get much buffeting that bothers me other then from the visor. I really like wearing a helmet with a visor to keep the sun out of my eyes so I accept the jiggling.

I installed the KTM mirrors. I did not notice any buffeting or turbulance differences between what I had v. the KTM. In theory the should be less, but since it did not bother me before, eh. They are a smaller profile but I got them because they were wider, lower and looks. KTM has two different sizes, I have the smaller of the two.

#31 ·
Are you guys seeing the trend yet?

1) Shorter shield
2) QUALITY NAME BRAND HELMET

The roar will always be there. Earplugs, baby.

As for the buffeting, it's all about the helmet, IMO. Most of the folks with Shoei, Arai, Nolan helmets don't seem to have nearly the turbulence that other have.

#32 ·
Ditto, Dude. The chopped shield and "slightly huge" vent definitely worked for me. A complete success.

#35 ·
End to buffet for me!

I used the emgo mirrors from www.denniskirk.com way more aerodynamic than stock.
Dennis Kirk Part #: 391504
Manufacturer Part #: 2025171 (right)
Dennis Kirk Part #: 391505
Manufacturer Part #: 2025172 (left)
I have always been suspicious of the stock mirrors due to their shape.
I ride with Arai XD. " I think the XD stands for Xrtra Decibels" :) I also ride with a Arai Profile (which obviously is quieter...but not as cool looking ;)
In combination I use a MRA Vario windscreen. It all seems to work for me. :p

Good luck....

#36 ·
I see 3 sources of buffeting.

1) windshield.....fixed w/ larger homemade & madstadd until ceebailey gets here.
2) mirrors...semi fixed (still buffets but much less) with sleeker ones
3) air coming up the sides of the tank. Fixes seem to be tank panniers (not for me unless on long trips) or lower 'wings' whih I will start playing with once my engine guards get here.

There is the helmet option but I will not be buying new helmets to see which ones don't buffet.

#38 ·
I remember that thread Balázs. Allonsye seemed quite excited in the experimantal stages, but I haven't heard anything on the subject for a long time. Wonder how it all turned out for him?

BTW, got my sport shield, and love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.