StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way I understand it, Suzuki eliminated the O/D indicator on the wee because 6th is not an overdrive gear, per se, on that bike.

It would not have cost them more to enable it, as the gear selector switch is already in place and connected to the cluster. They could have set up the display to read "6th," but that would have required tooling for an additional bulb lens or LCD, depending upon the year, which would have cost more.

I suspect that I'll be able to perform a simple mod on my 650 that will enable the indicator. There may be components involved or it may simply be necessary to fashion and install a jumper. Unfortunately, I don't have a newer (LCD) 1000 cluster to examine in order to check out the differences. Does anyone have a parts bike with a cluster I could borrow? I will document and photograph the conversion and publish it for everyone's benefit if I'm successful.

Alternatively, someone who has both clusters may be able to install the 1000 cluster in the wee and end up with a functional O/D indicator.

I'm hoping I can make this happen and I'm sure many of you would love to have that top gear indicator!!

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Both the 650 and 1000 service manuals are online (don't have the link handy) - so the first item might be to check the wiring diagram...

Are you sure there is a gear selector switch on the smaller motor?
I don't think the SV650 has one...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both have the same gear selector switch. The issue is that the required signal might come from the EMC, which differs between models. But it might work.....

Unfortunately, the wiring diagram lacks detail, but that doesn't prevent me from taking my cluster apart and having a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a slight delay (1/2 sec) between selecting 6th and when the O/D indicator lights so it is probably controlled by the ECU.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts