StromTrooper banner

Emptying Wee tank for storage

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  richw 
#1 ·
Hi All,

This year I don't want to top off the fuel tank with stabilizer, but actually empty it for long-term storage.

I'm used to carb bikes where you can just empty the tank and drop the carb float bowls. Now I have a fuel injected bike.

So my two questions:

What's the best way to empty the tank? (Apart from following the link on tank removal and just pulling off the fuel connection to the tank and draining it)

I'm assuming no fuel sits in the fuel injection to go bad so I don't have to worry about that right?

Cheers,
Nordkapper

#2 ·
You'd be better off to top off with stabilized gas, unless you like rusted gas tanks...

If you leave air in the tank it will breathe as the air expands and contracts, in that air will be a bit of moisture, the moisture will eat your tank from the inside out!

#3 ·
You'd be better off to top off with stabilized gas, unless you like rusted gas tanks...

If you leave air in the tank it will breathe as the air expands and contracts, in that air will be a bit of moisture, the moisture will eat your tank from the inside out!

I will eventually ship the bike so the topped off tank is a non-starter unfortunately!

#5 ·
About 30 years ago when I got my first road bike, a KZ440, the owner's manual advised to drain the tank prior to long term storage, pour some motor oil in and roll the tank around as much as you can until all surfaces have been coated. At that time I lived in an area where year 'round riding wasn't possible, and that was the method I used. Never had a problem with rust. In fact, I have the original tank off my '07 up in the barn right now using the same method. Of course, the fuel pump is out. I've got no concern about it.

#6 ·
I used to have an R80RT, used to drain the tank, take off the fuel taps and connect the empty tank to the end of my car muffler and seal with a wet piece of cloth. Then blow through exhaugst fumes until the tank was purged of fuel fumes. Then store the tank in my attic over the winter.

I don't know if the fuel injection needs any special attention or not when emptying the fuel system.

#7 ·
Mmm, yeah forgot that part. I ran mine down to about a half gallon in the tank, then siphoned it out with a pump. Then I removed the fuel pump with a minimum of gas spilling about, before doing the oil thing. Seems you could hit the starter for a few seconds to expel any fuel remaining in the line to the injectors and be good to go?

#8 · (Edited)
How about fogging the tank the same as you would the engine for storage. Advantage over oiling, is, how do you get the oil out. It would take a cup to a cup & a 1/2 to get the whole tank coated, and quite some time rolling the tank about. That's a lot of oil to burn in the first tank:yikes:. Might foul a plug or two too.
Not much fuel left in the injectors and their lines, but you could put stabil in the last tank you use, and then the residue would be stable for 6 months or so.

#9 ·
As long as the tank is stored in a fashion where it can breath, no rust will form. I've used cheese cloth taped around the filer opening after the tank has been totally void of all fuel.

I could also see using fogging oil to coat the inside of the tank as being a viable option. You could just fill with fuel when ready to ride and all would be good.

Storing the tank in a non climate controlled area with zero venting will cause rust in an empty tank.

#10 ·
If you ran the bike low with OVER stabilized gas

Just took off the injector side of the line and ran it into a bucket with the ignition on.

Note The fuel pump is cooled by the liquid gas so maybe a problem, but just to get the last out I wouldn't worry.

I would then start the bike and let her run out all together because there is gas in the entire injector system of course when pressure went low she would stall with gas in the lines

I still would want to take the tank off and with oil and fogger turn her over and over to coat the surfaces

#12 ·
If I was storing long term I would:

1: Run Stabil through the machine.

2: Syphon fuel out, start bike and run out fuel, remove tank.

3: Coat inside of tank with oil

4: Pour some oil into the cylinders via the plug holes

5: Turn over engine with plug leads off, coating cylinder walls

6: Plug exhaust with rag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.