StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the EMGO Cigarette LIghter kit from motoryclesuperstore.com two weeks ago and I am ready to mount the kit on my 2006 650 V strom. I will install the power port near the middle of the handlebars. For power, I think I can access the wires coming out of the ignition switch and splice into them. Is this a good plan? My other option is to extend the wires and make a direct connection with the battery. If you have done either of these things, what are your thoughts / suggestions?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I bought the EMGO Cigarette LIghter kit from motoryclesuperstore.com two weeks ago and I am ready to mount the kit on my 2006 650 V strom. I will install the power port near the middle of the handlebars. For power, I think I can access the wires coming out of the ignition switch and splice into them. Is this a good plan? My other option is to extend the wires and make a direct connection with the battery. If you have done either of these things, what are your thoughts / suggestions?
I used the unused heated handgrip connector to power my 12V outlet. It is a switched circuit which means when the bike is on the outlet is live. When the bike is off the outlet is off.

For unswitched power I have an an adapter that fits the SAE connector woth I use for my trickle charger.

You can also go to the Eastern Beaver Website and see all of the other 12V power options that are available. They also sell a wire harness that plugs into the heated handgrip connection on the Strom.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Best is to run wires back to the battery with a fuse in the positive wire...15 amp fuse for #16 wire. Run both positive and negative wires to the battery.

Those power sources you mention might be OK for very low draws...GPS, for example. Never plug an air compressor or other high power consumer into those power sources.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the unused heated handgrip connector to power my 12V outlet. It is a switched circuit which means when the bike is on the outlet is live. When the bike is off the outlet is off.

For unswitched power I have an an adapter that fits the SAE connector woth I use for my trickle charger.

You can also go to the Eastern Beaver Website and see all of the other 12V power options that are available. They also sell a wire harness that plugs into the heated handgrip connection on the Strom.
Where do I find the heated handgrip connecter? Also, where do I find the SAE connector? Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts