Strom Trooper banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my air filter on my 2011 DL650A was looking a bit dirty and at just over 25000 miles figured I'd go ahead and replace it in anticipation of the riding season. Checking prices I figured I could buy a factory replacement for $43 or a K&N for $56.99 from my favorite on-line dealer. Yes, I know the K&N is a "once ion a lifetime purchase..." Being thrifty by nature I decided to search for other alternatives. I stumbled across Emgo brand filters. Searching here the brand is mentioned multiple times for replacement mirrors but I didn't really seem to find much on their air filters. Found a vendor on Amazon listing it for $13.59 plus $5.30 shipping. I figured for a total of $18.89 it was worth a try. Heck, I hear amazon is pretty good at returns (although this was shipped directly from vendor). Received it timely and opened the box. Initial impressions were good and the filter media looked as good as the factory. I do admit the holes on the engine side in the metal screen are smaller in diameter but there are more of them than the factory filter. Also, there seem to be more pleats in the paper element. Overall quality of construction appear as good as the factory filter. Pulled tank and it dropped right in and checking the gasket fit perfectly. Buttoned everything back and took it for a spin. I wish I could say it felt like I had another 5 HP or something but, it's just an air filter. Runs just fine in both city riding and a couple trips on the Interstate. Checking gas mileage it seems to be up but truthfully believe that is more of a change in average temps and not the filter.

I just checked and see the price has bumped up a bit on Amazon but still appears to be just under $22 for the same filter. So if you are looking for a replacement paper filter and want to save some $$, at least consider this one.

Rick

1 - 1 of 1 Posts