StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a problem with the ABS on my DL650 for a couple of months now. Just riding along and the ABS light comes on.

At first I thought it was electrical and some attention to connectors backed it off for a few weeks, then thermal. Finally tracked it down when I noticed the steering head bearings were loose. Not noticed because the 650 is the commuter these days, the roads are shit and the front end being a bit off not was that noticeable at low speeds.

Tightened the steering head bearings and the ABS problem has gone, and the reason for the ABS problem is one of those obvious in hindsight things. Hit the brakes and the front wheel stops rotating and just moves backwards until the slack has gone. That throws off the ABS unit which gives up.

"Doh !", I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice earlier but against that the information might be useful to someone else. It's not an obvious connection.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Sounds like the ABS sensors are extremely sensitive for you problem to be solved that way.
Hey, what ever works, eh?
ABS on different bikes is given to different feels. The rear brake on my 800ST BMW and G650GS BMW felt like crap. When it kicked in it literally kicked back at the foot pedal and caused me to jerk my foot up and reapply the brake.
Very unnerving.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comment on the original post.

The ABS light didn't come on immediately, usually about half way to or from work but sometimes close to home, sometimes (rarely) made it home. So there is some margin in the system but continually getting out of step with the rear wheel would take it out.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sounds like the ABS sensors are extremely sensitive for you problem to be solved that way.
Hey, what ever works, eh?
ABS on different bikes is given to different feels. The rear brake on my 800ST BMW and G650GS BMW felt like crap. When it kicked in it literally kicked back at the foot pedal and caused me to jerk my foot up and reapply the brake.
Very unnerving.
My rear brake has always done that.
Did the front brake do the same?

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I never noticed the front brake causing stopping angst. Just the rear on my 800ST and G650GS. The ABS on my old R1100RT cop bike worked really well. The kind of ABS that makes one a believer.
The 04 WEE doesn't have ABS and the first rear wheel skid and slide made me well aware of the lack of it. Surprised me and made me laugh. i had to get back in old school habits of riding. Never ride faster than your brakes can slow you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts