StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I stopped at a rest area on I-5. Had been a long ride so I was glad to get off. Forgot to put the kick stand down! Duh!
A guy from the truck in the next parking space was out within seconds to help me pick up the bike. So only about 30 people noticed....
:green_lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
On the wee, because of the height, I have a habit of pushing forward as I swing my right leg over to clear the side bags.... once or twice the kickstand has folded on me, but luckily was I was able stop the bike from falling. I know I could grab a fist full of front brake to aid that not happening, but I never do.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have come to a stop in my driveway after a long ride wth an incredibly sore tailbone and thinking only of getting off that miserable seat and darned near forgot to put my feet down. I managed to muscle it back up but with a great deal of difficulty.

I would think that any get off where you stand back up with no bruises or broken bones is a good get off.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Forgot to put the kick stand down! Duh!
You're hardly alone. I was leading a group ride and pulled over for a gas stop. After a few minutes I decided to get off and take a picture. Kick stand would have been a good idea, but instead my bike dropped into the spokes of MZBuckeye's front wheel. Fortunately there were plenty of other Troopers around to witness and help.

Not a great start to the group ride with then strangers. "Hi, I'm Dirt Dad, I'll be your leader tod...shit!" They all elected to continue following me, but it was a good serving of humble pie.

·
Registered
981 Posts
These things happen :headbang:

I love my Givi crashbars and rear side case racks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Riding through a state park.

As I approach a nice vista I notice a scantily/tightly wrapped early twenties girl painting a picture of the view.

Nice place to stop right?

Maybe I was distracted but I did not notice just how steeply the road fell away where my right foot would normally be on the ground.

Hilarity ensued.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Taking a "Kat" nap in Oregon. Too funny. I laughed, then cursed and finally cried because I couldn't pick it up. Full loaded and in a ditch, there was no possible foothold to allow lifting it back up. No one stopped for a full 45 minutes though several cars/trucks passed. All I wanted was to take a stupid picture.:headbang:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have done it too. Was is the rest stop North of Everett heading South? I was there yesterday. A woman asked if I was with the guy that had fallen... I had no idea what she was talking about.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Always put the bike in 1st gear and watch the side stand as it contacts the ground. The bike won't roll in 1st. It works for me every time. In the past week or so, I once noticed the stand was over a hole in the pavement and another time that it was not fully extended.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Taking a "Kat" nap in Oregon. Too funny. I laughed, then cursed and finally cried because I couldn't pick it up. Full loaded and in a ditch, there was no possible foothold to allow lifting it back up. No one stopped for a full 45 minutes though several cars/trucks passed. All I wanted was to take a stupid picture.:headbang:
Next time rotate the bike 180 deg. while it is still on it's side so the wheels are on the down slope, take off as much of the luggage as you can remove [to lighten before the lift], with your back to the bike [bum against seat] put one hand under the bike and with the other hand grab the handlebar grip that is on the ground, straighten your legs to do the lift.

Looking at your pic you may only have been able to rotate your bike about 90 deg. as that grass looks like it hides a steep little drop off.

Plenty of vids on youtube of lifting bikes.
YouTube - ‪NB's F6550GS - How to pick up a motorcycle‬‏

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think there is a learning cycle of all the way the bike can fall. My latest "almost" was on my plants driveway. Put my foot down and touched a patch of fine gravel. Started slipping and thankfully, it was a small patch otherwise, I would be testing my armored jacket again.

I don't have a lot of experience with other bikes. Is this normal or a Strom curse?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I thought I could ride fully-loaded on Fernandina Beach.

I rolled clear of the catastophe, but none of the sunbathers casually watching me bothered to help as I struggled to get the bike righted. My wife, on her bike, 50 yards back could not help because of the laughing spasms.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's exactly where it was - the rest area north of Everett. Glad to hear I'm famous!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Jbstarr, I was at the rest stop south of Olympia on i5 when this lady walked up and asked if I heard about the guy in the rest stop up north...... Just kidding but I just couldn't resist. My first was the very first day I brought it home. While unloading from my flatbed trailer she takes a nap. Luckily just a blinker. I hand'
t even got it in my driveway yet

·
Administrator
17,257 Posts
Your not the first and aint gonna be the last.:yesnod:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Next time rotate the bike 180 deg. while it is still on it's side so the wheels are on the down slope,
I know the lifting technique, but would not have thought of rotating the bike to solve the slope problem. I hope I never need that tip, but thanks.

As to the original post: +1. The first time I loaded up with my new Touratech panniers, I did exactly that in the driveway. The mounting bracket has been bent ever since. :headbang:

After that, I developed a habit of actually kicking the kickstand with my foot before putting weight on my foot to dismount. That muscle memory has saved me from a repeat once or twice since, when my foot swung past the point where the stand should have been.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Oh, by the way, an inexperienced pillion, unless counseled otherwise beforehand, WILL use the passenger footpeg to hoist him/herself up onto the seat. When said pillion weighs in excess of 200 pounds, and your bike is top-heavy with a very narrow bar (as was my K75), hilarity will ensue.

I never offered that guy a ride again. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got into the habit of using the sidestand as the kill switch, so I don't worry about forgetting to put it down. I come to a stop, (in 1st gear) put the stand down, then carefully lean the bike over until it's stable. Knock on wood, I won't forget about that.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I thought I could ride fully-loaded on Fernandina Beach.

I rolled clear of the catastophe, but none of the sunbathers casually watching me bothered to help as I struggled to get the bike righted. My wife, on her bike, 50 yards back could not help because of the laughing spasms.

Now that woman is a keeper.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts