StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are many threads here discussing how one company's spring rate calculator, or shock builder, or suspension tuner will recommend widely varying spring rates for the same rider.

My question is - does Elka tend to spring on the heavy or the light side?

The reason for my question, is I am considering the purchase of a used Elka. Of course the seller's profile does not line up exactly with mine. If I knew they tended to spring on the heavy side they might work for me. If they tended to spring on the light side - they likely will not.

Related to all that - how broad of a range of adjustment for preload do the Elkas tolerate well? Some shocks tend to get more and more harsh seeming with preload.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
...Some shocks tend to get more and more harsh seeming with preload.
More preload = more harshness, that's a hard and fast rule of all suspension tuning.

There's a minimum amount of preload that's necessary, but anything beyond that is bad.

There's more to things than spring rate also, the overall damping profile has as much (or more) to do with the feel than spring rate does.

Bottom line, your question doesn't have a simple answer. :(

What's the weight difference between you and the guy selling the shock?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree on the preload comment - learned that setting up race sag on my KTM's for enduro racing.

He and I are about the same weight actually - but I would be riding with passenger a good bit of the time. Other issue is his shock is from a Wee (40lbs lighter bike). Having said all that - might a somewhat undersprung Elka still be better than the crappy old stock shock?

And yes, dampening is yet another topic....

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Elka used Eibach spring, whose rate is usually stamped on the spring.

what rate they used would have depend on info supplied by the end user at the time

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
...He and I are about the same weight actually - but I would be riding with passenger a good bit of the time. Other issue is his shock is from a Wee (40lbs lighter bike). Having said all that - might a somewhat undersprung Elka still be better than the crappy old stock shock?...
Well, it would be better than stock, but given all that I'd want to respring it. If the price is good enough that that makes sense, go for it. Otherwise I'd let it pass.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rich - I am leaning that way to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts