StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, has anyone fitted a elka shock,need to beef up rear
Just had a quote from sv racing,seems reasoable and the the guy was very quick with email reply and very infomative
What do you think,especially with the $ to $ at the moment
Cheers Clive

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
+1 on Elka shock - i have it since mid 2009 and over 45,000km on it-3 way adjustable with remote preload and ride height adjustable - a lot less for the equivalent in Wilburs and Ohlin - quality is super.

Getting from Blair is the cheapest way i am aware of - i have bought a number of things from him over the years - pleasure to deal with

Of many accessories and things i put on - ELKA is the only thing i can give a thumbs up without reservation! Those who know me knows i am a hard customer to satisfy normally!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just recieved my elka shock from sv racing,also got the front springs and gold emulators,gotta say that elka looks like a piece of art a shame to get it dirty.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You will love it. I have had the Elka for a few months, and today did my front springs and emulators for the second time in a week. Very very happy now. Also got everything from Blair. He is a great guy to deal with, and always very helpful. Enjoy the work. It is lots of fun.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I passed on the Elka. It might be a great shock but the price seems high to me. Fine if you have the money and want to spend it.

Is the Elka spring and valving for your weight and riding application?

What is the cost of a rebuild, fresh oil and nitrogen? (~$100 on the Sasquatch)

Can it be re-valved free?

All these are taken care of with a Sasquatch DL1000 Shock job. I love mine. ~$650 ($450 Sasquatch, $100 DLK shock, $100 all the shipping and tax) all told and that is enough for me.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I passed on the Elka. It might be a great shock but the price seems high to me. Fine if you have the money and want to spend it.

Is the Elka spring and valving for your weight and riding application?

What is the cost of a rebuild, fresh oil and nitrogen? (~$100 on the Sasquatch)

Can it be re-valved free?

All these are taken care of with a Sasquatch DL1000 Shock job. I love mine. ~$650 ($450 Sasquatch, $100 DLK shock, $100 all the shipping and tax) all told and that is enough for me.
Answers are:

1) YES weight and riding style specific;

2) depends who u go to - but cost the same as any shock services - service parts and time are same for most shocks;

3) if job is done correct the first time why do u need free re valve?

----
yes ELKA shock is just under $1,000 from Blair @ SV RACING - so about $350-$400 more than Sasquatch -but u get a fully adjustable shock not just preload and rebound but hi & lo compression as well as ride height. To me it's better value for money as i can easily adjust for change in riding style, my ever changing weight and riding payload. Of course YMMV

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you get more bang for the buck with elka corkus
All installed,now have to do the fine tuning
Still got to install the fork spring and emulators
How come you did yours twice vellies?

·
Registered
183 Posts
How come you did yours twice vellies?
I did a few things wrong to start with like oil level, wanted to drill move holes in the damper rod, make the spacer shorter and also wanted to change to the blue springs to make the setup lighter. In the Wee forum (to 2011) there is a thread I shared my experiences http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011-%5B-wee-strom-%5D/73987-fork-upgrade-initial-thoughts-lessons-learned.html. There is also a link to a thread there that blacklab posted with an amazing amount of information.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well ,went for a ride today two up ,loaded up with all camping gear after fitting the elka shock and new springs and gve and 10 wt oil in the front forks,this ride instead of avioding pot holes i went looking for them!! To try out the new system
The rear feels great ,maybe a bit stiff,didnt bottom out at all when hitting pot holes
The static sag measured 27 mm, ajusters were set in middle

The front static sag measured 23mm ,with top forks preload done up to the last groove and the gve set at 4 turns
It still dives under braking ,but i think the front feels stiff?
Not sure which way to ajust next

Any thoughts guys

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I fitted the Elka 3 way shock yesterday to my 07 wee 80K klms, and took it for a quick 10k ride this morning, WOW what a difference, I thought all the comments on the forum were exaggerated, and that the standard one was OK, how wrong was I. I set it up to Mudrats settings and will fine tune after I do the front, as the front is diving into pot holes and the rear seems to be gliding thru them. As soon as I left the garage I could tell it was heaps better at the back. In the next couple of weeks I'll do the front springs (sonic) and fit Intiminator fork valves, then do more fine tuning

Cheers,

Chops

PS thanks Cooldollar for all the parts, in excellent condition!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Springs

Chops: I bought .9kg Sonics ( they sent IKONS) and tried them but reverted to OEMs as the Sonics (IKONS) were too stiff for my weight 78/80kgs always solo and no more heavy camp gear to consider. They will probably suit you as I know you are addicted to bakerys:......: kgs kgs kgs!
You still got my phn. no? They are boxed sitting on my shelf. The intiminators will be a good move.

Saturn 5

1 - 15 of 15 Posts