StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new rear shock for my 2006 DL-650. I ride 50/50 single/two up and the rear shock is sacked. I understand the dynamics of suspension systems (2 and 3 way) but normally set it once (except pre-load) and don't mess with it beyond that. Truthfully, if it weren't for the poor handling when I have my girl on the back I wouldn't buy a new one. I grew up riding street bikes in the 70s and could make them corner. A sacked out suspension system on a modern bike is like riding a race bike once you learn how to ride an H2 through the corners.

I'd say our combined riding weight is in the 320-350 pound range (I'll get the exact weight) and I'd prefer a shock that can handle that but not beat me to death when I ride by myself (170 in gear). Cost doesn't scare me; Buy Once, Cry Once.

However, for that I want:

Great performance

Durability

Direct bolt on installation with the same ease as the stocker or better (no additional brackets or add on afterthought stuff because it's not model specific)

Re-buildable/Serviceable

Is this an Elka?

Thanks in advance

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
My situation is similar to yours, I ride 2 up 50% of the trips and the stock shock preload died. I went with Elka, they will build the shock to your specifications ( weight, load, riding style, the shock is easily adjustable, fully rebuildable (set cost) I have had mine for a full year (15K miles) including a 9K miles 2 up camping trip, this shock works very well.
As others have said there are other options, I am very happy with my Elka.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts