StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just move from TN to CA and the bike dos'nt feel right.
is the ecm can adjust him self to the elevation?
do i need to do any thing?
i also have a full system exhaust(leo vince) k&n air filter and i had the bike remap(no pc. it was remap through the ecm).
any idea?
thanks in advance rafi.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where in California? If you're up in the hills, your computer needs time to reset itself. I don't know enough about bikes to know for sure, but I know my car would reset itself if you pull the negative off the battery for a half hour or so.

At higher elevations, a flow-through exhaust can pull off quite a bit a bit of torque from the engine. A good filter doesn't make a difference. Remember, too - California gasoline has a different formulation to it so that could make it seem to run a little odd.

Good luck getting it registered in Cali without their emissions system being complete. Hope it's different with bikes than cars!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oops - didn't see the Sherman Oaks tag. It's most likely the difference in fuel. Sherman Oaks isn't high enough to worry about (I lived in Bridgeport at the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center for 4 years, which is at 6,765 feet elevation). You can still do the reset thing I mentioned to see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
You don't mention if you are riding a 1000 or a 650 or what year it is.

But, if I recall correctly, our EFI is an open loop system.

No learning possible as there is no feed-back loop.

Disconnecting your battery will only mean you have to reset your clock.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The various sensors for the fuel injection system seem to cover air pressure difference pretty well. My old 650 ran just as well in the mountains as it did at lower elevations on a trip out west. A switch from 100% gasoline in TN to 90% gasoline 10% ethanol may be part of the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
My 2006 DL650 can climb.

Last June I crested Berthold Pass at 11307 feet in Colorado, and the bike was perfectly happy. Later that month it crossed the Rocky Mountains three more times, and never had a problem.

I believe the fuel injection system adjusts itself to atmospheric conditions as necessary. I wish I could do that.

Keith

·
Registered
143 Posts
You do adjust...eventually. Took me a few months, but I stopped trying to die every time I looked at a hill.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The various sensors for the fuel injection system seem to cover air pressure difference pretty well. My old 650 ran just as well in the mountains as it did at lower elevations on a trip out west. A switch from 100% gasoline in TN to 90% gasoline 10% ethanol may be part of the problem.
Bingo!!!

I agree with with greywolf.

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry for the late respond!

it's 2006 650.

ill try to disconect the negetiv and we'll see.

i'm currently using 87 octan should i use higher on?

thanks for the responds.
rafi.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Stick with 87.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Stick with 87.
+1

If your engine is not pinging or knocking then there is no reason to use anything more than 87. You will have no performance increase by using anything higher. The Octane rating just dicsribes the fuels ability to resist knocking.:D

Edit: Also California uses the 10% ethanol in ALL its stations, its law, Your previous state may not have that law and uses the old mix(good mix).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most areas of California used to use a "winter blend" oxygenated gasoline in the winter months. Check with the gas station you go to or look on the outside of the gas pump and see if they are using the winter blend and if it is still in season. If it is, after you reset your ECM, you may want to wait to do the remap after you have a tank of the "summer" blend in your tank. You may get optimal performance use out of your remap with the different non winter blend. Just a thought.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Most areas of California used to use a "winter blend" oxygenated gasoline in the winter months. Check with the gas station you go to or look on the outside of the gas pump and see if they are using the winter blend and if it is still in season.
He is near Los Angeles, We dont have a winter mix in SoCal since it hardly drops below 45 degrees at night in the dead of winter. North Cali may be different.

·
Registered
41 Posts
He is near Los Angeles, We dont have a winter mix in SoCal since it hardly drops below 45 degrees at night in the dead of winter. North Cali may be different.
Vinny, My Bad. Either way our gasoline in CA is crummy :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Either way our gasoline in CA is crummy :)
Rant: On

You're not kidding. I cant stand our gas. I love going out of state to Vegas or AZ cause they use the good stuff, and all my vehicles get better mpg there. Here you might as well piss in the tank cause its not getting any better. They even switched to low sulfur diesel which is making my truck run like crap and they are gonna start emissions inspections in 08 for diesels!!! I cant wait till I move to Vegas and get away from this tree hugging, pillow biting state. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Rant Off:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts