StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a little ride on Saturday; I'm sure that you all know about these roads but all I can say is WOW! Maybe it's because I'm a noobie and I'm still learning but I can honestly say riding up there was confidence inspiring. I've been with you guys up to Rosseau in April and had a blast but the combination of long sweeping turns with very open corners really helped with my ability to focus on where I wanted to be going as opposed to where I didn't.(target fixation?) It's amazing to see the point where the road disapears around the bend and still seeing the road around me.

2 tanks of gas, 840kms, and 11 hours later I made it home a little tired but all the better for it. But next time I'll remember to charge my camera battery the night before.

Patt
Kelowna here I come!

·
Registered
636 Posts
It's one of my favourites in Ontario, I've been on it a number of times this year.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Where is Elephant Lake Rd.

I have a general Idea of where these roads are but have been unable to locate them on a map. Where can I find them?

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Hey TJ,

I'd like to do a ride up through there again before too long. I'd also like to ride through Algonquin since I never had done so. Want to do that before too long?

..Tom

ps: I'll buy lunch

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey TJ,

I'd like to do a ride up through there again before too long. I'd also like to ride through Algonquin since I never had done so. Want to do that before too long?

..Tom

ps: I'll buy lunch
I was actually checking it out on the map last night and trying to figure out when to go. I haven't got a free weekend for a while but unless we plan a time to do it, it won't get done. August long weekend would have too much cottager traffic and besides I promised myself I would paint the house. Second Sunday of August might be a consideration but it looks like early fall might be the best for me. That would be an awesome autumn ride. Can't believe I am already planning into September. Where did the summer go?

TJ

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I might run up sooner but I agree about the long weekends. I also have a flying event (if the weather is okay) on the 12th. Saturday the 18th or Sunday 19th (as I am off the week of the 12th to the 18th) would work for me.

Heck, maybe even this Sunday?

..Tom

I was actually checking it out on the map last night and trying to figure out when to go. I haven't got a free weekend for a while but unless we plan a time to do it, it won't get done. August long weekend would have too much cottager traffic and besides I promised myself I would paint the house. Second Sunday of August might be a consideration but it looks like early fall might be the best for me. That would be an awesome autumn ride. Can't believe I am already planning into September. Where did the summer go?

TJ

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Hi Heavy,

Sure, that would be great! It would be nice to have a few bikes on a run.

I have envisioned leaving real early in the AM and doing a big loop including 507, Peterson road and through Algonquin on hwy 60(just because I never have been through there.) Then down on hwy 35 though Norland to my home. I am more than open to other roads being added as I know from the April Ride there are great roads in the Muskoka area. My GPS shows it at being roughly 550 km from my door back to my door and taking about 7.5 hours. Of course my GPS assumes the speed limit and no stops

I am kind of in a right-now mood.. I might be able to swing it for this Sunday if that works for you.

Let me know,

Tom

Sounds like fun....mind if I tag along?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might I suggest the route I took:

Start and finish in Mississauga:

403-410-401-35/115-36-507-503-Elephant Lake/Petersons Rd-127-60-11-141-632-118-169-Southwood 13-11-400-401-410-403

Just edit out any road that aren't close to you. Every road was fun...with the exception of those getting to Lindsey and once off of Southwood 13. I started at 8am and rolled home around 7pm. I only made 3 stops; one for fuel and two for food. I should have stopped more often though.

I think that the best time to do this route is either early in the morning, early or late in the year before all the cottagers invade.

Patt

·
Registered
79 Posts
I might run up sooner but I agree about the long weekends. I also have a flying event (if the weather is okay) on the 12th. Saturday the 18th or Sunday 19th (as I am off the week of the 12th to the 18th) would work for me.

Heck, maybe even this Sunday?

..Tom
Sorry, not working for me. It looks like you will have to let me know how it goes and maybe do it again in September.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Sounds like great suggestions although based on where I live I don't have to suffer the 401 connection.

..Tom

Might I suggest the route I took:

Start and finish in Mississauga:

403-410-401-35/115-36-507-503-Elephant Lake/Petersons Rd-127-60-11-141-632-118-169-Southwood 13-11-400-401-410-403

Just edit out any road that aren't close to you. Every road was fun...with the exception of those getting to Lindsey and once off of Southwood 13. I started at 8am and rolled home around 7pm. I only made 3 stops; one for fuel and two for food. I should have stopped more often though.

I think that the best time to do this route is either early in the morning, early or late in the year before all the cottagers invade.

Patt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like great suggestions although based on where I live I don't have to suffer the 401 connection.

..Tom
You lucky dog! I hate the traffic here. Why just this afternoon I almost got smoked by a cage making a left at an intersection. I kinda blame myself though...I put myself in a position where I couldn't see the oncoming left turn lane past a tractor trailer. It's amazing though; most bike/car collisions happen close to home and from the left at an intersection.

But I digress.

Patt

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Hi Heavy,

Sure, that would be great! It would be nice to have a few bikes on a run.

I am kind of in a right-now mood.. I might be able to swing it for this Sunday if that works for you.

Let me know,

Tom
Tom, you still thinking of going this Sunday?

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Heavy:

Yes I would like to go. I posted another thread about it. Ideally a big loop through Algonquin but I am flexible.

Let me know if you would like to do so..

..Tom

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you guys are planning on going through the Park and then Hwy 35 might I suggest this little detour. I have a cottage off of county rd 12 and Ann and I road this route back to the cottage from Hwy 60 and it was very doable and that was two up. coming from hwy 60 the first 16 km are fairly rough but you hit pavement from Livinston lake right out to Dorset Great road!! good adventure.If you have questions let me know. :mrgreen:
.http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Whitney,+Nipissing,+Ontario,+Canada&daddr=45.410984,-78.726654+to:Dorset&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=1&sz=11&mra=dpe&sll=45.353593,-78.824844&sspn=0.210863,0.461426&ie=UTF8&z=11&om=1

·
Registered
100 Posts
NO that didn't work either ???? I guess some roads you just have to find on your own "the Vstrom way" I think I can email the link so if you want send me PM
Cheers

·
Registered
139 Posts
NO that didn't work either ???? I guess some roads you just have to find on your own "the Vstrom way" I think I can email the link so if you want send me PM
Cheers
It works if you edit the destination and replace the "grin" with "d" to spell Dorset. Interesting detour. Could a Boulevard C50 handle that dirt part there CYKZflyer? I have been wanting to do the Algonquin route this year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts