StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted Electrosport-they're going to be making a high-output stator for the 1K, but not for the 650, even though the 650 outsells the 1K... Go figure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Perhaps the DL1000's out farkle the DL650's? Don't they allready make a highoutput stator for the SV650 that will fit?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electrosport makes a regulator/rectifier for the SV650, but not a high-output stator. Dammit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
From Electrosport today:

As far as I have been told, there is a stator in the works. They
produced the 1000 stator 1st, and are now working on the 650.

Steven Newman
Technical Support
ElectroSport Industries
Oh be still my heart... :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
So once this thing does get made, do I need the reg/rec too or just the stator?

·
Registered
387 Posts
So once this thing does get made, do I need the reg/rec too or just the stator?
Seems like you'd still need a new R/R unit since the amount of juice produced is much bigger and you'd want to be able to make use of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You won't need a new regulator since the R/R manages voltage not amps. The Electrosport stator will allegedly put out more amps but 12v is 12v (or 14.5 max if your R/R is operating properly).

I've swapped several R/Rs on other bikes using 'universal' 12v R/Rs. They had a range of amp outputs and there was never a need to buy a particular one for a given output.

Let's just hope this really works when it happens. I need more amps just like most of the rest of us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. My name is Steven Newman from ElectroSport.

Seems we had some miscommunication between myself and a few others. We do in fact have a stator coming for the DL650 02-up before the DL1000 stators. In fact, they are arriving here next week.

As far as the technical data goes, I am waiting on an output graph vs. stock.

As far as the other information, it goes like this.

The part number is ESG842. The price is $139.

If you guys have any other questions or concerns please feel free to post here and I will be more than happy to answer your questions.

I will try and post later today with an output graph and some more information. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Wow, this could address one of the bigger complaints about the DL650 and fix the spare power issue. Please post the graph or a link to the graph as soon as you have it.... You could have a lot of people ordering these things as soon as they are available if it provides substantial improvement over stock.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More Juice! I'm in for one!

After having old BMWs, with most of the tricks to get a bit of extra electrical output, having enough power to run heated grips, extra lights, a heated vest, a GPS, all at the same time, will be a GREAT thing! With the old Beemers, if you really wanted extra power, it was a $450 step. To have a fair chunk of extra electrical output for only $130 is a real deal!

·
Registered
387 Posts
At last! My bank of quadruple death-lamps can become a reality.

CAN YOU SEE ME NOW, CAGERS??? WA HAHAHAAAA!!!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It will also be nice to see the actual output compared to the claimed output of the stock system. I'll bet it's not really [email protected]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here's a question... since nothing comes for free, and more power out equal more power in, what's the downside of this thing? How will it affect the engine?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Here's a question... since nothing comes for free, and more power out equal more power in, what's the downside of this thing? How will it affect the engine?
The generator is powered by the engine. I don't have a service manual handy to see exactly how it's driven, but it works essentially like the alternator in your cah that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. Whatever drag there is on the engine caused by the extra electrical power being generated would be negligable. All things considered, it might cost a few extra cents to fill the gas tank.

·
Registered
416 Posts
They gave a much needed boost to the FJR stator, 100 watts. Their product makes power at different rpms than the stock stator. They supplied instructions and a great product at a minimal price. No need to change wiring harness or rectifier. At least on the FJR, hoping this will be the same for the Wee.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It will not affect the engine in any measurable way. Even the maximum output of a high power generator is so small compared to the engines power output that there really is no difference wether the stator is rated for say 200W or 375W.

But there is another downside to these HO stators. They do make more power than the stock at high RPMs but at low RPMs (say <3000 or so) they actually make LESS power than the stock.
If you ride predominantly in a heavy stop'n go traffic, the stock might be better option for you.

--
Mikko

·
Registered
416 Posts
It will not affect the engine in any measurable way. Even the maximum output of a high power generator is so small compared to the engines power output that there really is no difference wether the stator is rated for say 200W or 375W.

But there is another downside to these HO stators. They do make more power than the stock at high RPMs but at low RPMs (say <3000 or so) they actually make LESS power than the stock.
If you ride predominantly in a heavy stop'n go traffic, the stock might be better option for you.

--
Mikko
Thats not true for the electrosport for the FJR. It produces more watts of power at almost every check point for the test graph. So for what its worth I hope it the same for the Wee. I will add one to the Wee if the numbers are good.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts