StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buyer beware on Electrosport and Excel brand stators for the DL1000. The Excel appears to simply be a re-branded Electrosport stator. Neither works.

Background:

On my way home to Atlanta from Florida, my charging system stopped working. Limped home, stator tested bad - one of the fields was open.

Ordered an Electrosport stator, trying to save some money. Installed new stator, new r/r, new battery. Bike wouldn't charge - performed all tests as specified by the service manual, everything checked out. Finally determined that the Stator isn't producing enough output to actually charge the bike - only way it will charge is with headlights disconnected, 14.5v that way. Connect one bulb, drop to 13.2 volts, connect the other headlight, down to 12.5ish volts, barely above battery charge.

Tested with 2 different batteries, and 2 different r/r's.

Ordered Excel stator to replace faulty Electrosport. Got it in the mail today, opened the box... and it's the same type of stator, with a different name on the box. Installed on the bike, and exact same behavior. Removed, and it will be returned.

I'm very annoyed by this; nothing more frustrating than junk parts straight out of the box. I've since googled on Electrosport, and see that I should never have given them a chance. I will be ordering the Suzuki part tomorrow.

Pics attached below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Your report seems to go along with most other experiences I've seen pertaining to those parts. Yet another hard lesson learned.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was one of the two r/r's I've tried it on. The stock one, and the Shindengen. Same results on both.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I never followed up on this one, I did get a Suzuki stator, and used the mosfet r/r from Roadster cycles. Worked like a champ, should have done it from the start.

I did eventually get my money back for the two stators that were bad out of the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts