StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know there has to be a few thoroghly farkled VStroms out there.

I'm wondering how much the charging system can take?

Currently (no pun intended) I've got heated grips and an Aerostich electric vest, I run a GPS and MP3 player while touring. I plan to add a radar detector, and replace the MP3 with a Delphi Sat radio this year. I'm also looking at adding auxiliary driving lights, and that brings up the question of what the charging system will handle. I think a pair of 55w lights will put it over the top and into discharge, but I think I can get away with a pair of 35w lights, which can be pretty effective with a good reflector/lens (PIAA/Hella) and good bulb (PIAA).

My primary concern is being able to run the grips (28w), vest (45w), GPS (?w), and lights (2x55w=110w or 2x35w=70w) all at the same time for cold, nighttime running when touring without discharging the battery. The music/ radar detector are secondary at night, but would be nice.

Any electrical engineers out there?
Anyone know what the stock charging system output is?
Anyone know the number of wingbeats/minute for an African Sparrow? :D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know the number of wingbeats/minute for an African Sparrow? :D[/quote]

a great question.
I plan on an electric vest and heated gloves. add the V-1 radar and the autocom and the proposed driving lights will the 04 altenator output be able to handle it.??

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rodan said:
My primary concern is being able to run the grips (28w), vest (45w), GPS (?w), and lights (2x55w=110w or 2x35w=70w) all at the same time for cold, nighttime running when touring without discharging the battery. The music/ radar detector are secondary at night, but would be nice.

Anyone know the number of wingbeats/minute for an African Sparrow? :D
You should be able to run that alright. IIRC you have 400 watts to play with. That is a load of techno goodies (GPS, IPOD, Radar detectors). You can so much of that stuff that you won't have to worry. You run into probs when you want to run aux lights that light up the sky like a runway along with a full heated suit.

I run heated grips w/heat troller, jastek powerlett, IPOD, cell phone and GPS. I can easily add a heated vest and auxiliary lights (which I plan too). If I wanted to add heated gloves, pants and socks then I would look at aftermarket alternator options, if any.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE

Allright, I keep seeing this "IIRC" all over web. What does it stand for?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
167 Posts
dbl_aitch said:
The 400 watt output concerns me a bit, too. Grips and Gerbing are pushing 100 watts. I ordered one of these little LED indicator lights to keep me posted on battery "health."

http://www.electricalconnection.com/meters_indicators/bm.htm

Light goes yellow, turn something off for a while...
I have seen this on John Weldon's bike. It looks like it works pretty good.
I will be adding one in the near future.

steve

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meatsac said:
IIRC you have 400 watts to play with.
Anyone know a ballpark of what the bike needs just to run and keep the battery charged?

I have heard ~150-200W, but I don't know if this is correct. A 200W surplus would be plenty to run ECM devices, heated grips/vest and 2x35W auxiliary lights, but I'm thinking 2x55W would be pushing it. A full heated suit would get ugly... :D

Remember that peak alternator output comes at something like 5000 rpm, so you would need to be going ~85 mph, or gear down to achieve that....

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know a ballpark of what the bike needs just to run and keep the battery charged?
I made these current measurements of the various circuits on my DL650 last weekend:

Ignition: Depends on RPM, about 2A at cruising RPM.

Headlights: 9A high, 8.5A low. This measurement might be a bit low
because of resistance in my setup, but it agrees pretty well with the
lamp wattage rating.

Signal: 2.6A continuous, more while signaling turns, brakes, etc.
This number might be a little higher than normal since I have a couple
of running lights on my bike.

Fan: 0A unless the fan runs. Since we're mostly concerned with cold days,
I'm making the assumption that the engine won't be hot enough to need
the fan.

Fuel: Looks like about 4-5A depending on RPM, engine load, etc.

So it looks like, with high beams on and under average conditions,
there's at least 10A/120W of capacity left over from the 650's 380W
alternator.

·
Registered
441 Posts
not much excess capacity

A recent magazine article written by the head honcho of Powerlet Products addressed this very issue. His name is John but I have forgotten his last name...anyhow... He named several specific bikes including the Strom, their operating load, alternator capacity and excess capacity which of course can be used to run farkles.

Here's the bad news: He claims the V-Strom has only 360 watts available, all but 75 watts of which are needed to run the bike. The article broke out how many watts are needed for every electrical component. So many watts for the ECU, so many for coils, lights, fan, fuel pump, and so on. According to John and this IS his business, there are only 75 watts "left over" to play with.

Although we know this is a great bike, it was disappointing to see it listed last in alternator capacity among the bikes that were listed in this piece. A few bikes, if I recall correctly had more than twice our number of 360 watts.

So far I am just running a widder vest, heated grip wraps, and a set of tag lights. No trouble yet, but I think I have used most of what's up for grabs.
Anyone else see this article? I think it was in Backroads.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen 360 watts listed in DL1000 specs in another road test also. The alternator in my Burgman 650 puts out 500 watts! However, the Burgman has an electronically controlled ECVT transmission, an all digital dash, twin tailights - in addition to the FI and other stuff that is common to both bikes. So I don't know for sure if it has more "free" watts to play with. It is interesting that Suzuki does not list alternator output in the specs in the owner's manuals - and I couldn't find it in the service manuals either.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this is the article:

http://www.powerletproducts.com/documentation/excesscapacity.html

One thing I noticed is that he is basing his figures on a 2002 V-Strom. My understanding is that the alternator capacity of the 1000 was increased to 400 watts on the 2003 and later models, and that the 650 will put out 380 watts.

Another point is that his electrical load figures are for average bikes, not specifically the V-Strom. In general they're pretty close, but he gets a few specifics wrong. For instance, his estimation of headlight power draw doesn't take into account the fact that the V-Strom has two headlights instead of one. On the other hand, my measurements indicate the ignition and ECU on the DL is much more efficient than his figures, probably better electronics technology at work.

He also adds 60 watts on the load side of the equation for the radiator fan, which I was assuming would not be running in cold weather. That assumption alone makes up almost all of the difference in our results. But here in sunny California I can't say from experience that this is valid, does anyone have information to the contrary?

·
Registered
441 Posts
electrical capacity

Thanks for the additional information. The magazine article wasn't exactly like the piece from the Powerlet website, but very close. I suppose for a company like Powerlet that's some essential stuff to provide for your customers.

I have just added a small color LED bar graph type voltmeter to my 'Strom. I will keep an eye on it and let you know what I see compared to how much load I am putting on the system. Hopefully this winter will have a few windows of possible riding now and again.

It is a little odd that there is no clear answer to exactly what the alternator output is for any given DL and year of production, don't you think? I have never previously owned a bike for which I couldn't simply look up the figure.

The weather is closing in. Rode to work today on wet roads but the grass is covered in snow... Stay warm, ride well.

Jeff

·
Registered
192 Posts
The article was in Ride Metric Roadbike, Oct/Nov 2004, and was by John Swiatek. I've only discovered this mag recently and it's pretty good. I have also heard the wattage output was increased in 2003. If you want to buy Powerlet products, go over to STN.net first and join their forum and then you get a 10% discount.

One of the few things I dislike about the V-Strom is its low wattage output. If you are designing an "adventurer tourer" (Suzuki's description) that you also claim is not really intended for serious off-road, presumably you really mean a sport-tourer that can handle forestry roads, gravel roads, etc. That's our bike, and it's even more than that. It's a great urban assault vehicle too. Wonderful in the twisties etc. I don't need to tell you guys this.

I am really hoping that they come out with a 2nd generation V-Strom soon, maybe 2006, that fixes these things. How about that windshield too?

Suzuki does not have a great sport tourer. It would take very little to turn the V-Strom into the world's most unique sport tourer. Maybe not the best, but capturing a different niche. Better electrics, good optional accessories like hard luggage you can buy in parts or decent heated grips, and a much improved windshield. Imagine a bike able to do what the FJR 1300 and ST 1300 can do, but also wind you down that 60 miles of gravel whenever you feel like it. The perfect bike for a trip to Alaska.

In fact, it would be easy for them to have such V-Strom models in both 650 and 1000 sizes, one more oriented to offroad and one more to sport touring. Maybe just give them different letters like BMW does. The V-Strom is such a great bike it is a shame to waste its potential. Suzuki, are you listening?

Bob

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bravo, Bob! Very well said

Bob,

You make some great points here. Do we know if Suzuki reads this forum?

If they don't (they should) then perhaps you should send you comments directly to Suzuki Canada.

Maybe you could even send them some sketchs of an improved electrical system complete with tiny, retractable wind generators, and motorized solar panel arrays! ;-) Nah, on second thought just send them the other comments.

Jeff

·
Registered
192 Posts
Actually, this site has a feedback to Suzuki thread where I probably should have posted that. Not sure if Suzuki actually reads it though.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw Swiatek's article just before doing some electrical additions to my DL650. The low capacity of the DL alternator is of great concern.

I have Hot Grips and Widder vest/arm chaps. I installed a Datel volt meter to keep track of my charging system. At idle it drops to about 12V with grips and vest set at "extra crispy." However, at any speed above parked it is in the 14V range. So, I just turn down my stuff if I will be at a long stop light. I think a volt meter is a very good idea.

install on an BMW F650:
http://tinyurl.com/e2d8

doc riverz

Edit: PS: Here is a cheap source: http://tinyurl.com/83v9g
Don't forget to order a bezel for a nice appearance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I posted this in the V Curious thread also:

According to the specs in the '06 DL1000 owners manual:
Main fuse is 30 amps (x 12v) = 360 watts max possible output of the generator.
60 watt headlight (x2) = 120w
Breaklight/tail light = 21/5w (x2) = 42w
liscense plate light = 5w
turn signal 21w (x2) = 42w There's four but unless you're using your emergency flashers, you'll only use 2 at a time
guesstimate 5w for the fuel pump and the dash lights = 214 watts leaving 146 watts MAX to play with. There is probably at least a 5 amp safety factor in the main fuse so figure 140 watts for ALL your accessories. If you want to be able to use your emergency flashers, you've got at most 100 watts to play with.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The '06 DL1000 has a 400 watt alternator. You need ~5000 RPM to get it though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts