StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my '08 ABS DL650 new and rode it pretty much daily. I took care of it maintenance-wise, added heated grips, connections for TourMaster heated jacket and pants, and added some LED turn signals. Nothing major.

In 2010 I noticed that it was getting harder for it to keep a charge and my heated grips would automatically turn off due to low voltage. At work I'd have to put it on the charger and when it was time to come home, I was good to go. I brought it in to the shop where they told me they could find nothing wrong. The battery was holding a charge and they didn't replace it. The problem persisted and I went to a different shop and they said the stator was the problem.

I ended up moving and found the problem moved with me. It had actually gotten worse. While riding I saw the red light come on that I usually only see flash. Then the motorcycle died. I tinkered on the side of the road, walked to a motorcycle shop, bought a new battery, and that got me home. I took the old one and charged it via battery charger and kept it as a spare in my topcase in case I needed it on the road. The motorcycle lost power a lot faster than it had before.

The bike sat for a year, being charged, started, and run by my wife on a stand while I was on a US government-sponsored all-expense paid vacation to Afghanistan and when I came back I started the bike, ran it, lost power, but this time it was different. Everything was lost. Turns out it was the main fuse that blew. I put it back in the garage, replaced the fuse, put it on the charger and after being satisfied that it at least ran, I went to do some research in the living room.

The next thing I heard was screaming. The pictures show what I found. I believe it's the regulator/rectifier, but I'm almost certain that TourMaster was on the label. I don't have an '08 Service Manual and someone here pointed out that it's copyrighted and it's probably in poor form to ask for it on PDF so I'll ask via subliminal message.
[HEY, IF YOU'VE GOT A SERVICE MANUAL FOR AN '08 DL650 ABS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW]

Can anyone identify this part and would anyone have any ideas before I take this machine to the third (maybe fourth) shop?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
wow, that looks bad!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's not a Suzuki part. It looks like somebody installed an aftermarket electrical part without a fuse. Tourmaster makes heated gear. It could be a heated gear controller module.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Follow the wires closely, and hope that they did not cook something nearby...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Although a good majority of us have just replace a blown fuse at one time or another, this example shows the importance of finding the root cause of a blown fuse before replacing it. Glad everything else was OK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grey, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one to install anything on the motorcycle. The control module for the gear is on the jacket. The jacket connects to the pants and receives power from the bike via two leads. The only service manual I found was for an '04 and that pointed to the same area and referred to a regulator/rectifier. Does the part itself look at all familiar to you?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Looks like the correct location for the R/R on a 650. Should have heat dissipation fins on the top (front) side though

·
38,103 Posts
The position is right but it isn't stock, it's very small and a R/R needs cooling fins. It should look more like this. It sure wouldn't say Tourmaster on it.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Yea, it kind of looks to be an aftermarket R/R that came apart and lost it's cover/fins

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may have been wrong about it saying TourMaster...my medication may have been off, but when I double-checked the area, I found nothing with fins that comes close to what you've got pictured, though I did see that in the '04 manual.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trapper, I didn't see your post when I responded, but I'll go with that being a faulty r/r. I can verify that elsewhere, but could you or anyone else recommend a higher performance r/r? I'd like more power for my gear and possibly other items. Now seems to be an opportune time to upgrade it.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Unfortunatly it's not that easy. The R/R won't increase ectrical output, you would need to change the stator for that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't think it's the regulator/rectifier. You can see it (the R/R) in one of your pictures. (Unless the top of your R/R got knocked off and lodged itself further down on your motorcycle.)
I'd go with the trace-the-wires-back technique to see if you can figure out what the heck it is (was).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I don't think it's the regulator/rectifier. You can see it (the R/R) in one of your pictures. (Unless the top of your R/R got knocked off and lodged itself further down on your motorcycle.)
I'd go with the trace-the-wires-back technique to see if you can figure out what the heck it is (was).
Good eyes! That certainly looks like the R/R. Seems like someone moved things around and added stuff unless the '08 was much different than our '09. Looks like a wire trace may be necessary.

·
38,103 Posts
Yeah. Somebody moved the R/R and put that thing in its old spot.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The "R/R" in the photo, above, is the RADIATOR!

How many burnt up wires are coming out of that smoked component?

How far away are the connectors? What do they look like?

·
38,103 Posts
The "R/R" in the photo, above, is the RADIATOR!
No. Look at the finned object at the lower left end of the yellow line from the caption. It's a regulator/rectifier.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts