StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disappointing that such a new bike would leaver me stranded in the middle of no where, with no warning.

Riding taking it slow 4k rpm and 50 mph as usual I notice the abs light is on. Another glance down, and I see that the dash is completely off, no tach, no mph, no fuel, no temp, but the clock is on. Just like it was turned off and not running except the abs light is lit.

About 1 more mile the motor shuts off. Coast to a stop and try to start but it acts like a dead battery. the gauges sweep, slowly the fuel pump runs, but slower, and the starter clicks but won't turn the motor over.

Luckily there is cell phone service. I call my daughter (who is in possession of my truck) and she eventual comes to my rescue with truck, ramp, tie downs and a good bit of young athlete muscle power.

Loading the bike is no small task but it gets done.

At home, testing and checking stuff... what I found was that the battery , after being charged, would start the bike just fine, and it ran just fine. I had the battery load tested any way. The battery source guy said it held a load just fine.

Brought home a multimeter, and I checked the battery (in the bike) 12.24 v. I guess that is ok? Started the bike, the voltage dropped to 10v or so whent the starter ran, and then at idle it read 11.7 plus or minus .1. At 4k rpm, it read 11.0 plus or minus .5.

According to my service manual, the next thing to check is stator and regulator. Since the bike is less than 12 mo old (I bought it on April 2 2011) I carried it back to the dealer, and told them all of this and that I expected this to be covered by the warranty.

I was very upset that my supposedly reliable bike had stranded me like this. It could have been much worse, as I have taken this thing places where it really should not go (and my 2wd ford ranger would get badly stuck).

I have yet to hear back from the dealer.

I am thinking it definitely needs a voltmeter accessory. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Suggestions....wait to hear from the dealer. Reliable bike but anything made by man can break down. Could be anything from bad charging sysyem to loose battery connection or ??? At least it happened within the warranty period.

Good Luck.

Rick (also 2011 DL650a)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, wait. Not easy but yes.

It had been more than 24 hrs since I dropped it off. I drove past the place, and saw that it was not still parked on the loading dock. So they moved it at least.

This Saturday is some sort of an open house celebration. I think they have been in business for 30 yrs now. The mayor is coming to cut the celebration cake!

I am going to a shooting competition on this Saturday. Unless it is rained out, which is very possible at this time.

I could be really annoying, if I wanted to be. My wife is good friends with the mayor's wife, they play tennis together once or twice a week, for quite a few years running now.

But I don't want to be annoying. I just want my bike to run properly. I use this thing as my every day ride to work.

Out of service for a long time is a big inconvenience.

Getting screwed on warranty is worse.

I hope that isn't what we are working up to.

I think that sums it up.

-Peter

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Not to be nasty but my BMW dealer gives me a loaner when I have service. That's why I have the Wee strom they gave me one as a loaner. I got spoiled real quick.
Most Non European dealer are a bit more loath to give loaners.
Of course. I get hosed when I get the BMW serviced!:yikes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: they said the stator was burnt up, it is on order, and the warranty covers this repair.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Update: they said the stator was burnt up, it is on order, and the warranty covers this repair.
Have your rectifier checked as well... I replaced mine (as a pre-caution on my '09 when I had it) with a mosfet type r/r... Will probably do it to my 2011 this year too...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sucks when something new breaks but they are just machines made out of hundreds of parts, any one of which can fail. It is more rare these days than in years past thank goodness but my Tiger had a bad starter right from the factory.
The good thing is you were only inconvenienced. Nobody was in danger, nobody died and the bike is going to get fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dead gauges & then dying engine...

Disappointing that such a new bike would leaver me stranded in the middle of no where, with no warning.

Riding taking it slow 4k rpm and 50 mph as usual I notice the abs light is on. Another glance down, and I see that the dash is completely off, no tach, no mph, no fuel, no temp, but the clock is on. Just like it was turned off and not running except the abs light is lit.

About 1 more mile the motor shuts off. Coast to a stop and try to start but it acts like a dead battery. the gauges sweep, slowly the fuel pump runs, but slower, and the starter clicks but won't turn the motor over.

Luckily there is cell phone service. I call my daughter (who is in possession of my truck) and she eventual comes to my rescue with truck, ramp, tie downs and a good bit of young athlete muscle power.

Loading the bike is no small task but it gets done.

At home, testing and checking stuff... what I found was that the battery , after being charged, would start the bike just fine, and it ran just fine. I had the battery load tested any way. The battery source guy said it held a load just fine.

Brought home a multimeter, and I checked the battery (in the bike) 12.24 v. I guess that is ok? Started the bike, the voltage dropped to 10v or so whent the starter ran, and then at idle it read 11.7 plus or minus .1. At 4k rpm, it read 11.0 plus or minus .5.

According to my service manual, the next thing to check is stator and regulator. Since the bike is less than 12 mo old (I bought it on April 2 2011) I carried it back to the dealer, and told them all of this and that I expected this to be covered by the warranty.

I was very upset that my supposedly reliable bike had stranded me like this. It could have been much worse, as I have taken this thing places where it really should not go (and my 2wd ford ranger would get badly stuck).

I have yet to hear back from the dealer.

I am thinking it definitely needs a voltmeter accessory. Any suggestions?
The same scenario just happened with my 2012 VStrom 650. Gauges went dead & shortly thereafter the bike died. Eventually I was able to get gauge contact, bump start & then a jump start that got me down the road for a couple of miles for a repeat performance of the above. I tried a new battery, which fired it right up, but I was dead on the road again within minutes. My question – I was thinking stator (& of course a regulator & resistor check), but a call to a mechanic had him saying he suspected a short since a new battery should have lasted me at least an hour with a bad stator. What say you troopers? Is it possible for the stator or a combination of a bad R & R to run down a new battery that fast or is the mechanic on the right track? Much appreciated for any & all help with this!

·
Registered
553 Posts
The same scenario just happened with my 2012 VStrom 650. Gauges went dead & shortly thereafter the bike died. Eventually I was able to get gauge contact, bump start & then a jump start that got me down the road for a couple of miles for a repeat performance of the above. I tried a new battery, which fired it right up, but I was dead on the road again within minutes. My question – I was thinking stator (& of course a regulator & resistor check), but a call to a mechanic had him saying he suspected a short since a new battery should have lasted me at least an hour with a bad stator. What say you troopers? Is it possible for the stator or a combination of a bad R & R to run down a new battery that fast or is the mechanic on the right track? Much appreciated for any & all help with this!
When my stator went out on my 2011 DL650A, initially I thought it was the battery and wanted to just replace it before testing things. I bet even a fully charged battery would drain pretty quickly with fuel pump and head lights running and getting no charge. Plus, I usually see battery manufacturers indicate new battery needs a slow charge for a certain amount of time before initial use to bring it up fully. After replacing my stator I added a cheap volt meter.

Rick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow. I just had almost this exact same experience last week. Mine is a 2012 WeeStrom. 37000 miles. The bike is still in Virginia Beach. I live in SC. Seeing these posts make me feel WORSE about the future. Seems this is NOT an uncommon thing. Oh boy. Me thinks I may sell it and go with as close-as-I-can-get-to-it Honda. Have had several Hondas over the years. You know.......bulletproof.

Oh.....BTW............FWIW............have serviced the bike religiously as the manual states. The only exception being that I change the oil more frequently than Suzuki recommends.

As the others have stated, NO WARNING at all. Just poof !!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
There is no such thing as a failure proof machine. Hondas break too. The stator will be less stressed with a series type regulator/rectifier. Swapping that is less expensive than swapping bikes. Series Regulators for Enhanced Stator Reliability

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agreed, Greywolf. The stator ( whatever THAT is ) will be less stressed with a "............series type regulator/rectifier." I'll take your word for it being that I am in no way a wrench. I can only HOPE that where I left the bike for repairs ( 350 miles from home ) is a reputable place. And......that they also know what you just told me AND are willing AND know how to put one in properly.

But the MUCH bigger question is "will I get stuck in .......God knows where...........in just another 37,000 miles ??" As I'm sure you know, 37K for a traveler is not that much at all.

It'll ( breakdown ) always be in the back of my mind now that I KNOW this is NOT an uncommon thing on relatively new WeeStroms. The good news is that because of this forum I now know that.
Soo....yes....... There is no such thing as a failure proof machine. But, after only 37K on a perfectly maintained bike, ridden like a human ( no racing, wheelies, idiot stuff etc. ) in 2016 ??????? And, it's a COMMON occurrence ??

Thank you for your thoughts.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Don't expect a series type R/R to be installed without you specifying it. The standard repair is just to replace the stator and some places will also replace the R/R with a stock model even though it won't make any difference other than lightening your wallet.

·
Administrator
17,252 Posts
Honda VFR's and the ST's have not been "bulletproof", neither are the Goldwings. I agree the charging system on the Strom's are their Achilles heel, but that is pretty much about it overall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honda VFR's and the ST's have not been "bulletproof", neither are the Goldwings. I agree the charging system on the Strom's are their Achilles heel, but that is pretty much about it overall.
Funny you should mention those two Honda models. 100 % bulletproof ?? Of course not. Speaking only from experience, my GW did break down on the road once. And I was very far from home. Fortunately, was with some riding buddies. Anyway.......it did break down. But, the bike was EIGHT years old with just under 90,000 miles. Certainly more palatable than a 3 year old bike breaking down.

I also had a 1995 VFR, again with close to 90,000 miles, that NEVER broke down.
I only sold it ....well, I practically gave it away to a mechanic friend of mine for $500.00 ...................because I 'thought' it might start to have problems.

Think I'll keep my Strom for another two years and re-evaluate whether or not to keep it or sell it.

Thanks for all the responses guys !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts