StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Signal fuse shorting-my fuse keeps burning out and I’m losing power to my signals, break lights and instrument panel. Any ideas what’s causing the fuse short.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
what electrical accessories (if any) have been added to the bike?

has any work been done recently to the bike?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Either it is an overload from adding accessories or a dead short. Also make sure it is the correct value fuse inserted. Not a 5 amp where a 10 should be. Overloads can appear random as it may not blow till accessory are on, turn signal is on, you touch the brake and pop. More than likely a wire had abraded and touches metal now n again.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
First try to work out when the fuse blows.

Is it when you use the left or right signal or when you use the front or rear brakes ?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I suggest that you 1st make a test lamp for yourself. Place the test lamp lead in the fuse holder, on the side leading the gauges / brake light / signals, test from there to reproduce your fuse blowing problem. The test lamp will save you a few fuses and aid your in tracing your fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven’t added any new accessories for a year so don’t think thats the problem. When the fuse blew my signal and brake lights were not in use. The fuse blows as soon as I start the bike and the instrument panel comes on. Maybe something to do with that?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'd guess most likely an abraded wire touching metal. I would pull the fairings, fuel tank, etc. and just start carefully looking at all the wiring and harnesses. You could also unplug things you suspect, like the instrument panel, and try starting it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If it isn't an overload then it is a short. If it pops just turning on the ignition and not when signals or brakes are used it is in the wiring before the switches. Is tail lamp on same fuse? Check under the seat in the trunk, maybe something stuffed in there has damaged a wire. Look down by the rear brake switch. Look in the easy areas first before tearing stuff apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts