StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy!

Greetings fellow strommers. I seem to be having a slight problem with my bike. I was riding home from work today when I noticed the abs light was on (funny since I was full on the gas). I also noticed that my high beam indicator had shut itself off. About the same time my tach fell to 0 and the mph read out was stuck at 54. The indicators on the panel and bike were also not working. Other than that bike ran fine the rest of the way home.

When I got home I shut off my bike and immediately tried to restart. Nothing but a few of the digital readouts came on. The tach nor the mph came on or cycled. After leaving the bike alone for an hour or so I tried to start it once again. Everything lit up on the instrument panel like normal but in the middle of its start up cycle it powered itself down and went blank.

Anyone have a clue on where to begin looking to find my problem?

PS the battery (shorai) is about 6months old and started right up when I left work.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hate to say it but I had the same kind of issues when my stator quit.

I would charge up your battery and get the charging system tested. If you don't have a charger, I got a black and decker one that also has an alternator tester that isn't much money from Walmart.

p.s. This is the one I bought and the alternator tester did work at diagnosing my burned stator;

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BCS10B-Battery-Charger/dp/B0024GJ4IM/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1424401097&sr=1-11&keywords=black+and+decker+battery+charger

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Dead stator.

A freshly charged battery will get you a surprising distance, but doing that is hard on the battery, so charge it, and if it's still under warantee, drop it off at the dealer.

Check the battery terminal as well, but stator is the likely one.

Pete

·
Registered
300 Posts
It seems like the stator/rectifier is starting to turn out to be the Achilles heel of the DL650. I wonder if the administrator should start a sticky where we can post failures and possible remedies tried. Seaworthy2, you’re in Hawaii. How many miles you have on the bike?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Often when I have electrical issues the first place I look is at the battery
Make sure the cables are on and tight. Make sure the battery has voltage.
I check it static and with the headlights and brake lights on with the engine off.
If it's below 12.5 I give it a charge and do the test all over again after the battery charger shows the battery charged.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have others read that low oil levels can lead to stator failure as the stator gets too hot? I put in the recommended oil quantity with filter change as stated in the service manual. However after running the engine until warm and then waiting 10 minutes or so I top off the oil to the upper line on the sight window. This puts in more oil then recommended however after 18,000 kilometers there have been no stator issues. Also there oil never looks foamy with air bubbles in the sight glass. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If your stator checks out, you might want to investigate the Shorai. I had one stop holding a charge after a year. After it was replaced under warranty I realized it had been weak from the beginning. The new one spins up the bike much stronger than the old one ever did. Just a thought....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As it turns out it was the stator, r/r. The battery was also dead. Bike had 15,000 miles. All oem except for a fork brace. Hopefully the extended warranty comes through with this.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Having the stator an R/R both go is almost unheard of in reality. It's almost always the stator alone or, rarely, the R/R alone. Many mechanics throw the baby out with the bath water and blame both without properly testing. Did both fail tests you performed or are you passing along the diagnosis of a mechanic? If the latter, I'll bet your R/R is okay.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Make sure you keep the old one as it can be rewound and used as a spare. I am probably going to get mine rewound with a bit more wire to give me more amps to play with.

This place does it but I haven't got around to investigating further:

http://www.rickystator.com/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last month my battery went dead on a ride into town, it was an off brand and not knowing it's age I replaced it with a Yusa. Normally I keep it on the tender if I am going to be off it for a few days. This is Central Texas, weather events last just a day or so. Any way, my battery went to 10.5 V on a ride. Bike won't run, I was getting a sputter then it just died. Got lucky as I was in a town. Getting it home I did the battery of test from current leakage to charging at mid RPM. Every thing checked, the one thing I have not done is check the charging after it gets to operating temp and looking at the voltage. This is the fourth time this bike has stranded me, this is the only Nippon piece of equipment to do so! I suspect the stator is failing when hot but it going to be another week before I get to test that idea.In the mean time I going to shop stators and Urals, because if it going to break at least it is expected!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts