StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Serious electrical issues at the moment.

Bike dies sometimes but always restarts.
Gauge needles sweep FI light flashes.
No FI codes.
No fuses burnt.

When it dies in neautral green light will flicker and not shut off with key off until shifter is moved slightly.
Aterwards everything cycles as normal and re-starts.

When riding it will run rough farting and popping and my stainless header will turn a vivid blue.
Doesn't always die and sometimes no problem for hundreds of KMs.

Recentyl replaced flasher relay which seemed to make bike run better and heated grips magically worked again while idleing in neautral but first ride had same problems as before and heated grips stopped working again.

Now thinking problem is possibly in the main keyed ignition switch as i had lubricated it with WD40 when it got sticky.:headbang:
Now notice in manual warning about lubricating switches and think the ignititon switch is now compromised.:confused:

Any Ideas... Spent 138$ on relay from suzy stealer already

If you don't have any constuctive criticisim then go ride your bike:argue:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dohh... DL650 2007

Had put it down twice but lost post repeatedly and was trying to be quicker.

About ready to trade it in.:furious::furious:
Been a good bike otherwise.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Just developed a weird gremlin. Rode to Colorado no problem, coming back an through a bunch of rain and the speedo stopped working. Once in a while it would come on but speed bounced all over the place. Then the oil pressure light came on in neutral on the side stand but goes off with the stand up and in gear( engine running). Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Water in a connector?

I'm not sure how similar the wiring is between the 2014 650 and 1000 but on the 1000, there are connectors that lead up to the instrument cluster and handlebar switches on the right side of the bike near the radiator fill cap just inside the frame and under the tank. As part of the 2014+ DL1000 electrical recall campaign, they added rubber boots to protect these from the ingress of water.

Just an initial thought, would be to check all the exposed connectors you can find for water & road grime residue. Contact cleaner, dielectric grease, and reassemble.

I was really surprised to see a the lack of water proofing on motorcycles. They are motor vehicles, after all, and should be expected to operate and be stored out in all kinds of weather...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Water in a connector?

I'm not sure how similar the wiring is between the 2014 650 and 1000 but on the 1000, there are connectors that lead up to the instrument cluster and handlebar switches on the right side of the bike near the radiator fill cap just inside the frame and under the tank. As part of the 2014+ DL1000 electrical recall campaign, they added rubber boots to protect these from the ingress of water.

Just an initial thought, would be to check all the exposed connectors you can find for water & road grime residue. Contact cleaner, dielectric grease, and reassemble.

I was really surprised to see a the lack of water proofing on motorcycles. They are motor vehicles, after all, and should be expected to operate and be stored out in all kinds of weather...

Thanks, I’ll dig in later this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
It could be the switch, but it might be worth checking the connectors under the tank. I know the SV had some issues with wires/connectors overheating and doing odd things. It does sound like an intermittent connection. (sweeping needle = startup self check??)

Also worth checking would be the battery connections, but you've probably done that already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts