StromTrooper banner

Electrical Gremlin After Washing

1368 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  drfood
This afternoon I gave the Vee a good washing. Yes I know washing jinxs vehicles but I never expected any significant problems like I have.

Before washing the bike started no problem. The battery is a Cycle Gear lifetime battery. I keep it on a Battery Tender Jr.

After washing I tried to start the bike and nothing. Zero. Nothing at all, no headlight, no fuel pump, nothing.

I pulled out the main fuse and checked with a meter, its good. I pulled the fuel injection/ignition fuse and it is good. There is no water anywhere around the battery or fuses. When I checked the battery voltage it registered 5.48volts.

So I put the battery tender back on it and after a couple of hours the voltage was back to 12+ volt. I put the meter across the terminals and switched on the ignition. The meter went from 12+ volts to 0.00 volts. When I turned off the ignition the voltage went back to 12+ volts. I checked the wiring that I could get access to without disassembling the plastic and nothing out of the ordinary.

I need the bike up and running later this week because my Jeep is going into the shop for some work at the dealer so it will be my only means of transport without renting a car.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what gremlins might have gotten into my bike and what solution there might be for them?

Thanks for any and all advice/suggstions.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Check the interlock on the clutch lever and the one on the kickstand. Odds are you unplugged one of the two.

Edit ... Never mind. If you are having voltage problems this isn't the cause. Sorry, I missed that part.

· Registered
3,923 Posts
So I put the battery tender back on it and after a couple of hours the voltage was back to 12+ volt. I put the meter across the terminals and switched on the ignition. The meter went from 12+ volts to 0.00 volts. When I turned off the ignition the voltage went back to 12+ volts. I checked the wiring that I could get access to without disassembling the plastic and nothing out of the ordinary.
To me, this indicates a bad battery - assuming your test leads were on the battery terminals themselves and not the connecters. If the test points were the battery connectors, the problem could be with one of those. Leave the charger on overnight and try it again tomorrow. Take note of the actual test point.

· $tromtrooper
2,395 Posts
In order...
Engine switch on?
Side stand up and/or tranny in neutral?
Check the clutch switch.
Check the side stand switch.
Load test the battery.

· Registered
6,840 Posts
Zero Volts then battery is not putting out

Make sure you test on the lead metal terminal itself but if true battery is toast

If you have it there then battery connection problem clean etc.

Lifetime hee hee

· Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Voltage was taken on the terminals themselves.

Left the charger on all night.

Ignition off voltage 12.74
Ignition on voltage 0.00
Removed battery from bike voltage is 12.74

Taking to Cycle Gear to get replacement. I am pretty sure the battery is toast.

· Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New Megaboost lifetime battery from CycleGear, $0.00. Running Vee......happy motorcycle rider. Thanks for all the diagnostic help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.