StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First

Randy.... I have your 2 burnt stators. The quality of the winding looks as good as I would do. I was unable to find a small quality source for 16Ga square wire which should improve it. So DO You want me to mail them back ?

2nd

The stator and R/R are what they are. The stock and Shindegen are shunt types where excess power is "shorted" to ground. There are varying theories about whether they abuse the stator. The stock R/R gets hot because the SCR used in it have a higher internal resistance then MOSFETS of the Shindengens. The MOSFETS and their control are faster and thus can control the voltage in the bike better. There is a type called a series R/R which shuts off the coil when the voltage is reached but allegedly require a different stator winding.

3rd

The battery plays an integral roll in that it supplies the little surge needed occasionally and a fresh battery is NOT a high resistance load that a near death battery is.

4th

Moving flywheel magnets cause unknown... Possibly excessive heat and poor cooling from thicker oil... pure conjecture.

------------------------------------------------

So in conclusion

The system is weak from the start

The stators burn from heat near the connections to the exterior wires indicating high resistance connections. Possible more reliable if they could get a squeeze and a coating along the way.

Magnet epoxy is either subject to heat or oil, note epoxy strength is variable based upon mix ratio and curing. Your results will vary. If you think about regluing yours DONT use filled epoxy like JB Weld.

Lastly all the components are a balanced system and if anyone gets a little weak like a shorted SCR there will be a cascade failure which might take out the stator as well

There is no free lunch... If you add accessories (or near dead battery) that take up too much power it will lower the stator voltage while increasing the amperage. This will all result in higher heat on the stator and raise possibility of the insulation burning through.

I will be putting in a headlight cut off for when I have my gerbings powered up.

Sorry but she is what she is and I did not find a cool mod to make it better, well except for real shelby's external alternator

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
Brilliant, now share your knowledge with Suzuki!!!!!!!:fineprint:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There is no problem finding the square magnet wire--the problem is buying less than the 10# minimum quantity. Here's one example: Magnet Wire

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I emailed those and others and got no where

I was in the wire business for 25 years. I am sure in 1990 would not have been trouble as some USA made stuff would be lieing around. Today there is little USA market and even fewer suppliers. Knock knock, who's there, 3rd world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts