StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really possible I'm going to replace an EK chain after only 5000 miles? I have only put about 5000 miles on this chain and the little holes in the links are oval now! I do lube my chain about every 300 miles so i can't believe this chain is worn out already. Has anyone had one of these chains, and have you seen the little holes stretch to the point were they are oval? I'm afraid to even still drive with this chain without it breaking. My sprockets are still almost like new, but i always put new chain and sprocket kits on together, so what a waste of sprockets. I guess It's time for a scottoiler if this bike is going to go through chains this fast. I'm shocked, i mean It's not even a powerful bike, this is ridiculous!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Maybe you got a bum chain?
The one that came from the factory with my wee lasted about 3000 kms before it got noisy. It was also never aligned right and ate sprocket teeth.

Swap a new one in, including sprockets and run a scottoiler. Did xring gold chains have been good to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have this chain now,my second one, and I never noticed the holes are oval on both the newer one i have now and the one I removed after 25k.
I doubt it is about to break.
I have the EK screw link with mine which is nice, and I actually prefer this chain over the much costlier DID gold chain I tried.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Something else seems wrong...my 650 with almost 14,000 miles (all original and stock chain/sprockets) still looks and feels new. There is no slack when you try to pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position.
I just bought this bike, and I don't think the chain has been adjusted much, if at all.

Makes me wonder if your chain is too tight when you ride, thus putting extra stress on the chain 100% of the time?

·
Registered
523 Posts
First thing I would think is that you are running your chain way too tight. I accidentally did that for a few hundred miles on the EK 525SRX chain. But my holes are still round.

You want 25-30mm of chain slack. Thats a good bit.

As an aside - I also have the screw-type master link and love it. Zero problems and when I need to replace the chain, I'll go with the EK and screw-type link again.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Hi, Something is definitely not right, It really sounds like the slack is set far too tight and destroying your chain and sprockets as you ride,

The average wear on the chain you are using is 3 - 4 times the mileage you have on yours,

You need 1.25 - 1.75 inches of Slack on chain when it is vertically upright and both wheels on the ground,

best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
A why do you believe it is bad ?

Check the chain alignment`and the rear sprocket alignment.

If your cush hub or cush hub bearing is bad then chain goes by by real fast

Look at side of rear sprocket for asymmetrical wear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts