StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adjusted my cams for the first time 12 months ago and wanted to recheck them seeing it was the first time I had done them (2014 DL1000). And thought they sounded slightly ticky. So when had to clean air filter after a three day adv ride, took the opportunity to check them. Front were fine but two in the rear (one inlet and one exhaust) were out of spec, one a little and the other a fair bit). So reshimmed them then reinserted the cams, torqued them up and checked clearances and all good. Put everything back together minus tank livery and fired her up to check all was well. Started ok but idle was doughy. Took it for a spin, and doughy acceleration and a miss around 3000. I thought was either an electrics plug not reconnected or a cam out. Checked the cams and sure enough, exhaust cam alignment marks were 'fairly' but not completely aligned. They obviously have to be perfectly level! What helped was the diagram helpfully included in the manual, which showed not just the alignment marks plus where the lobes should be pointing. And the exhaust was at 2 o clock, not 1 o clock. Changed it to one o clock, zipped it up and started it up - perfect sounding idle and rev, and test ride confirmed all good. And no ticky ticky noise.

But shows the impact of a mere one tooth out on the cam!! No idea how to explain what the effect of it would have been - exhaust valves opening and closing slightly later than it should, so slow to let gases out and/or some overlap with intake charge? And what's one tooth in degrees - no idea of teeth number. Perhaps 2 or 3 degrees diff?

At least no apparent damage done, and not out enough to bend valves etc (god forbid).

Has anyone else had cam timing adventures??

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
It is very easy to get mislead when re-installing the cams (DL1000) because of the spring loaded split gears. They change position while being tightened. So its imperative to check for proper mark alignment after they have been tightened down at least finger tight. I remember I did mine a couple of times until I was satisfied that they were correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts