StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my first tank on my salvaged 2014 Glee, and the trip computer is reporting 37.6 mpg. My buddy's 2012 (with fairings and a big windscreen) does 53 when I ride it in the exact same manner- cruising on the freeway at ~80 mph. This seems like too big of a gap to be put to just a lack of fairings and windscreen, but I could be wrong. Does it sound normal to anyone else? I have a windscreen on order, but somehow I doubt a windscreen will net me 16 mpg...

The valves have just been adjusted and the air filter is brand new and stock, stock pipe as well.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
For a start, have you checked for any of the following:
1) Front / rear brakes binding
2) Riding with foot on rear brake
3) Wheel bearings tested for binding / drag
4) Fuel leak at throttle body
5) Riding style

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
and wind direction but 53 mpg seems high on a litre bike unless wind assisted so you might be going after unobtanium.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a start, have you checked for any of the following:
1) Front / rear brakes binding
2) Riding with foot on rear brake
3) Wheel bearings tested for binding / drag
4) Fuel leak at throttle body
5) Riding style
1. Front brake is riding a little bit, but not to any terribly noticeable degree, just light scraping when the wheel is free spinning. Rear is fine.
2. Nope
3. Front is good, haven't tested the rear but I will today.
4. Haven't checked that, but there is no obvious sign of leakage or smell of fuel.
5. That definitely plays a factor in overall MPG, but I got 53 on my buddy's 2012 650 pretty easily riding in the exact same manner. His has fairings and a large windscreen.

and wind direction but 53 mpg seems high on a litre bike unless wind assisted so you might be going after unobtanium.
Not really sure on the wind direction, but there hasn't been much wind when I've been riding lately. Also, this is the 650 Glee strom :) I planned on ditching my K3 because of poor fuel mileage, but at this rate, I'm pretty pissed off at Stroms altogether...

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,348 Posts
52 was my overall average on the 2012 650 when commuting on it. I don't remember getting under 40 mpg, even with cruise set at 78 mph/gps loaded down on trips.

Fill the tank up and then check the mileage manually. Do NOT depend on the mpg readout!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I average 46 mpg with my 2012 V1000. The lowest on my 1000 is what you're averaging on your 650. Can't tell you what, but you got something wrong.

KKORO

·
Registered
374 Posts
I second checking it manually. My 2013 DL650 has been reading lower fuel mileage all winter. 53 -> 47. I am attributing some to winter fuel and lower ambient temperatures, but recently noticed I could only get 4 gallons in after flashing fuel pump + 20 miles or so (210 miles) In the summer this would be 250 miles or so and a 4.6-4.8. Seems like mileage has stayed the same but mpg and fuel reading off in winter. Not sure if MPG calculations even use the fuel level sensor. Seems like the computer should know better than the fuel gauge how much fuel is being used. One other observation, I have not reset trip 2 in like 6000+ miles and yet the average on that seems way to easy to influence in just a tank or so. For example if I run 200 miles pretty hot the average will drop more than I would expect. Seems like the average is kind of a rolling average since reset not a total mileage since reset/total fuel consumed since reset.

Disclaimer - The are my off the cuff observations/impressions and not a result of precise logging of indications, fuel amounts and distances so they are subject to my all too human limits of perception. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed these things.

If you are really getting 37.6 something is not working correctly. Running cold maybe? Or thinks it is? 3 blocks on temp gauge on? You and your buddy should fill up and go for 200 mile ride and note the fuel blocks shutting off, then fill up. If you are really getting 37.6 you won't make it (or just barely 5.3G) I think of each block as 50 miles.

kfh000

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I just completed my first tank on my salvaged 2014 Glee, and the trip computer is reporting 37.6 mpg. My buddy's 2012 (with fairings and a big windscreen) does 53 when I ride it in the exact same manner- cruising on the freeway at ~80 mph. This seems like too big of a gap to be put to just a lack of fairings and windscreen, but I could be wrong. Does it sound normal to anyone else? I have a windscreen on order, but somehow I doubt a windscreen will net me 16 mpg...

The valves have just been adjusted and the air filter is brand new and stock, stock pipe as well.

Are the front sprockets the same between the 2 bikes? The OEM 15 tooth reads about 8% high a 16 tooth will be pretty close.

From my experience >75ish is where the gas mileage takes a hit on the 650. If you are actually riding at 80 mph then yea <40mpg can happen. I've seen mid 30s in certain conditions i.e. 85mph, windy, hills, etc.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
52 was my overall average on the 2012 650 when commuting on it. I don't remember getting under 40 mpg, even with cruise set at 78 mph/gps loaded down on trips.

Fill the tank up and then check the mileage manually. Do NOT depend on the mpg readout!
So I did the math and the actual was around 34.44 mpg, meaning my computer MPG readout is estimating around 10% high.

What kind of tires between bikes? Air pressure? Chain lube?
His bike is on Shinko 705s, mine is on Shinko 804/805s (which I had planned to swap to Anakee IIIs but if these MPGs keep up I'm selling it and not dropping another dime into it). Pressure on his is unknown, mine is around 34-36 on both.

I second checking it manually. My 2013 DL650 has been reading lower fuel mileage all winter. 53 -> 47. I am attributing some to winter fuel and lower ambient temperatures, but recently noticed I could only get 4 gallons in after flashing fuel pump + 20 miles or so (210 miles) In the summer this would be 250 miles or so and a 4.6-4.8. Seems like mileage has stayed the same but mpg and fuel reading off in winter. Not sure if MPG calculations even use the fuel level sensor. Seems like the computer should know better than the fuel gauge how much fuel is being used. One other observation, I have not reset trip 2 in like 6000+ miles and yet the average on that seems way to easy to influence in just a tank or so. For example if I run 200 miles pretty hot the average will drop more than I would expect. Seems like the average is kind of a rolling average since reset not a total mileage since reset/total fuel consumed since reset.

Disclaimer - The are my off the cuff observations/impressions and not a result of precise logging of indications, fuel amounts and distances so they are subject to my all too human limits of perception. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed these things.

If you are really getting 37.6 something is not working correctly. Running cold maybe? Or thinks it is? 3 blocks on temp gauge on? You and your buddy should fill up and go for 200 mile ride and note the fuel blocks shutting off, then fill up. If you are really getting 37.6 you won't make it (or just barely 5.3G) I think of each block as 50 miles.

kfh000
Most of my riding is freeway- I'd say around 20% city/80% freeway.

Are the front sprockets the same between the 2 bikes? The OEM 15 tooth reads about 8% high a 16 tooth will be pretty close.

From my experience >75ish is where the gas mileage takes a hit on the 650. If you are actually riding at 80 mph then yea <40mpg can happen. I've seen mid 30s in certain conditions i.e. 85mph, windy, hills, etc.
Not sure on the sprockets on either bike. 5k RPM reads as 70 mph on the dot. I'll pull the sprocket cover and check, but in my experience, sprocket changes have a minimal effect upon fuel mileage (when I went from 17/41 to 16/43 on my old Vee, my mileage went down by MAYBE 1 mpg).

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My question wrt this mpg query would be, what is the fuel consumption at a constant set rpm? First determine whether there is a problem with fuel consumption at lower speeds as well, before diagnosing the "cruising on the freeway at ~80 mph" complaint.
As suggested by the other members so far, there are many factors that come into play ranging from mechanical to aerodynamics. Air Filter, TB sync and engine oil condition could also play part in fuel consumption. Then other factors like windscreen, luggage / top box, foot position on pegs, seating position, physical body size, anything that can cause extra drag when riding at higher speeds.
By testing at lower speeds you can rule out any mechanical related problems with the bike. Just a thought.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I get low to mid 50s with my 2016 glee, maybe high 40s when riding hard. My naked sv650 got slightly less. The OP mentioned it's a salvage bike. Perhaps there is a real problem somewhere. I would check for trouble codes to rule out any FI issue.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Might try

Might try riding at a much lower speed (55or 60) and see what your mileage is. Aero drag is much less at the lower speed, so if your mileage still sucks then you have a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did a very VERY ginger run at 70 mph on the freeway- didn't exceed 5k RPM, didn't accelerate hard, etc, just to test it out (I'll do lower speeds next). The trip computer showed 46 mpg, which, if the deviation is consistent with what I found, means around 42 mpg actual (didn't get a chance to fill it up).

I will definitely do some lower speed tests. I think there's something deeper that is causing the issue. The bike had been sitting for about 14 months when I picked it up, but runs like a top (other than the fuel mileage issue)- is there something I should be looking into? I have just changed the oil and I do have receipts from the valve adjustment about 1000 miles and 16 months ago, and as I said I have verified that the filter is clean and is the stock paper unit, no power commander, no aftermarket pipes.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,348 Posts
Aerodynamics is not the cause of the 34 mpg.

There is too much fuel, or too little air, getting to the engine. Which can be anything from a clogged air filter to a bad ECM. Lots of things need to be gone over on this bike. Sounds like it had less than good care from its previous owner. Just going to have to start with the basics and keep going till the problem is fixed.

EDIT: Just read your post above. 42 mpg or so at 70 mph isn't all that far off. Maybe it just needs run some. I see you said the air filter is good. I would expect mine to give mid 40's at 70 mph. Once you break 70, it goes down fast.

·
Registered
146 Posts
EDIT: Just read your post above. 42 mpg or so at 70 mph isn't all that far off. Maybe it just needs run some. I see you said the air filter is good. I would expect mine to give mid 40's at 70 mph. Once you break 70, it goes down fast.[/QUOTE]

+1 exactly what I would say. My 2013A is in the 50mpg range under 70 (on the speedo) 75 up into the 40's

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't been impressed with the mileage on my 05 Wee either, and I have full fairings. I've been getting about 38mpg since I bought the bike last year. Mostly highway cruising with traffic around 70-75mph, but even aggressive mountain rides yield the same MPG.

I planned on checking TB sync and TPS setting sooner than later.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I like both of RealShelby's thoughts. I think if it were mine, I'd run a can of Sea-Foam through it, or whatever snake oil you prefer. I have gotten very real results from Sea-Foam on older carbed bikes.

And, I don't know much about this, but I THINK I read that in some fault scenario, the ECM can revert to some simpler process. Sorry that's short on hard info, but it might be worth checking for a fault code and searching out this ECM scenario. Might just be an easy reset.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts