StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've searched and googled and found <gasp!> conflicting information on the 'net regarding flash drives and magnets. Since my new EEE PC is all solid state, no mechanical hard drive, am I immune from damage if I keep it inside my magnetic tank bag? I've read theories both positive and negative, but wanted to hear from someone who does exaclty this with no effects.
Thanks,
Chris in Boston

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Magnetic tank bags have no detrimental affect on hard drives, solid state drives, camera memory, PDA's, phones, iPods or any other sort of electronics.
You are in more danger of physically damaging the PC due to it being bounced around than you are of having any issues with teh magnets.

·
Administrator
13,519 Posts
One thing: there is no conflict between any normal magnets and flash drives. Flash drives do *not* use magnetism to work and therefore will not be erased or affected in any way by them.

..Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
Magnetic tank bags have no detrimental affect on hard drives, solid state drives, camera memory, PDA's, phones, iPods or any other sort of electronics.
You are in more danger of physically damaging the PC due to it being bounced around than you are of having any issues with teh magnets.
+1 on that.

Magnetic credit/debit card strips are a different issue, but usually require almost direct contact with the magnet for problems to occur. Put your wallet on top of all your other stuff or in a top pocket.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
+1 on that.

Magnetic credit/debit card strips are a different issue, but usually require almost direct contact with the magnet for problems to occur. Put your wallet on top of all your other stuff or in a top pocket.
mythbusters debunked this one. they used an adjustable electromagnet thingy and cranked it up so they could lift a bus with it and it still had absolutely no affect on the 81 quadrilion-tri-million cards they tested.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
+1 on that.

It takes an AC magnetic field (changing polarity field) to erase media like credit card strips. DC magnetic fields from permanent magnets have no effect.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. We got bright people around here.
Thanks for the info, everyone. I was fairly confident there wouldn't be an issue, and I did a 100+ mile ride today with the EEE in the tankbag without ill effects.
Later,
Chris

·
Administrator
13,519 Posts
oh!! Was wondering if anyone would get it. they allow broadcast of that show up there?
Yes.. we actually get it and one other channel as well!

You know he's building a building in Toronto..

..Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
It takes an AC magnetic field (changing polarity field) to erase media like credit card strips. DC magnetic fields from permanent magnets have no effect.
To blank a magnetic strip, yes, an AC field (bias it is called on tape recorders - remember chrome tapes?) is required. To simply change a typical magnetic strip to the point it will cause an error would simply require moving it over a strong enough magnet of any sort. While I have not performed any tests per say I would be confident that I could rub my debit card against a tank magnet and go to a bank machine and not be able to withdraw the $50 I bet you as the card would not work. I would also be happy to pay out that $50 as I love experimenting.;)

With respect to the Myth Busters episode Dorzok pointed out, I would have to see it to determine their methodology.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Now that I have authorized payment for a great deal on an essentially new Nelson-Rigg magnetic tank bag for the sole purpose of keeping a nice digital SLR accessible on my rides, does everyone still agree that there are no problems carrying a digital SLR in a magnetic tank bag?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I carry cameras in the tank bag all the time. Sometimes two or three at once. Never had any trouble as long as I got the rain cover on in time...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts